Should i buy this gaming computer? Cheap and good? Thanks for any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

highdrox

Beta member
I have found a person that is trying to sell a computer through a local trading site (same city), and I am hoping to find some guidance towards buying this computer.

I will post the specs later in this post, but I want this computer for gaming. I would also like to ask for some pointers in what to check for when I go to pick the computer up. I will be playing Battlefield BC2 on it to test it out. Anything else I should do?

The seller claims he is going to college to be a computer tech.

Here is the ad I found and the specs: (PRICES IN CANADIAN DOLLARS)

Custom built desktop computer and LG monitor for either 500$ cash or a macbook either 2009 or 2010. No low- balling offers please. I bought and built this desktop coming to a total of 565.36$ dollars. IF SOMEONE WISHES TO PURCHASE THE DESKTOP WITHOUT THE MONITOR MY PRICE IS 420$ FIRM. ALSO THIS OFFER INCLUDES A 19" LG FLATRON W1943TS VGA/DVI MONITOR with cables.

if someone is to purchase this computer, i will reinstall a fresh copy of windows 7 professional 64 bit and bundle it with Microsoft office professional plus 2010 with all newest operating system and office updates as well as high end security software everything preinstalled before we meet.

The desktop computer specifications

System Includes:
Video Card: Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB PCIE x16

CPU: AMD Athlon II X2 255 3.10Ghz Socket AM3

CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler.

Motherboard: Asus M4N68LT-M V2 Socket AM3

RAM: Kingston 4GB DDR3 1333mhz

Case: Classic 3020 Mid Tower, front USB,Audio

Hard-drive: Western Digital Caviar BLUE 500GB SATAIII 6Gb/s 7200RPM 16mb cache

Power Supply: CoolMax 500W 120mm PSU(new march 25th 2011)

DVD-Drive: LG 22x IDE DVD-RW+(brand new april 7th 2011)

Wireless: D-Link Wireless G Rangebooster PCI network adapter

Onboard Lan: Nvidia geforce lan 10/100/1000

Onboard Audio: Via High definition 5.1

this computer was bought and put together janurary 15th 2011

plays call of duty black ops on max res and max settings.
plays battlefield bad company 2 on max res and max settings.
plays gta 4 on max res high settings.
plays left 4 dead on max res and max settings.

all games shows no lag. also amazing for multi tasking.

Windows experience index

Processor = 6.6 out of 7.9
Memory(ram) = 7.2 out of 7.9
Graphics = 7.3 out of 7.9
Gaming Graphics = 7.3 out of 7.9
Hard disk = 5.9 out of 7.9(standard for any sata or IDE hdd)

like patonb says beware of pirated software. from my personal point of view it sounds too cheep to have original MSO2010 pro. for that price. i live in africa at the moment and here the price of microsoft office 2010 is as much as a brand new entry level pc. so i would presume that the office is fake and so probably is the windows... also ATi/AMD is not exactly my cup of tea but for the price i guess is not too bad. another thing, truy and find out what memory does the 4850 use? ddr3 or ddr5 as it will make a lot of difference. for instance if the card is ddr3 i seriously doubt the 7.3 windows experience index. and it will be a **** card to have anyways.. just a thought thou.

P.S if the card is ddr3 don't waste your money. i would also say don't waste your money on anything other than Intel/nVidia but thats a topic for another day... :)

P.S if the card is ddr3 don't waste your money. i would also say don't waste your money on anything other than Intel/nVidia but thats a topic for another day... :)
That's a terrible attitude to have toward hardware. I'm indeed a nVidia fan but if an AMD card will give me better performance for the same money, or the same performance for less money, then I'm going to buy the one that is a better card. I won't buy an inferior card just because of some pointless attachment to a brand name.

Yes, that's a bit harsh. I use I5 and ATI. There are the good and the ugly of both. You may have your preferences, but it isn't written in stone. ;)

Thanks for the help! With all your advice I was able to decide not to buy this computer. I have decided to find someone that can build the pc for me new. I just don't trust a used computer.

Now the question I would have is: Either get a new custom made comp or just buy one from alien wear?

Alienware is a disgrace to computers and technology in general. In my opinion, the fact that they are owned by Dell is enough for me never to buy one of their computers. They cost on average 3 times more than their actual value. So, I recommend a custom build.

Regards,

Draco

Alienware is a disgrace to computers and technology in general. In my opinion, the fact that they are owned by Dell is enough for me never to buy one of their computers. They cost on average 3 times more than their actual value. So, I recommend a custom build.

Regards,

Draco
Agreed entirely! +1 rep for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom