shorts when i put it in case..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sadboy

Solid State Member
well, i finally got my computer to post, lol... the cpu fan was on too tight and was shorting it apparently... well, shorting it the first time..

my new problem is that everything works outside the case. as soon as i put it inside, it shorts again. even when i just sit the mobo over the risers/spacers it shorts.. i'm starting to think it's got something to do with the I/O shield in the back...

if it is something on the bottom which is touching the case, however unlikely, how might i fix that? can i line the inside of my case with something?

if it is the I/O shield, is it horrible to just leave that off? lol... improved ventilation? XD

thanks a bunch guys :D

If the motherboard and case are both ATX then you shouldn't need any isolation. Do you havd the I/O shield that came with the motherboard?

You also look for any perf tabs that are still hanging.

I used some washers I had to lift the mounting post up just a little bit when I had a similar problem. I couldn't use the I/O shield after that but who cares. I also used the red rings that come with the screws. dunno which one worked but it did.

If it shorts out when it sit's on the risers then there is something wrong with the board. There should be no current and or ground that goes anywhere near the mounting holes. You can try to isolate it but that is just masking the problem. RMA the board.

ok, i'll try that stuff out and let you know how i fair, i was just wondering if it was the I/O panel, the risers, or some dangling bits on the back of the mobo that was giving me trouble..

lol, guess it's a bit more trail and error :)

i'll post an update in a bit. thanks again for all ur help!

a chapter complete

wow, i finally got it working... hardware-wise i think...

ultimate problem? the CPU fan was somehow shorting it again and again, so i loosened it and it made it better...

also, i put tape over the standoffs and used those paper washer things on the top to separate the screw from the mobo...

so now things look like they're working, i got as far as "no boot disk" on start up so i figure my comp is working...

if my cpu was messed up, it wouldn't get that far rite?

anyways, i'm gonna take a break before i start installing the OS and stuff... if it's anything like the hardware i'll need a day + 2 days of scratching my eyes out :p

thanks again guys, without you, i would have no eyes and no working computer XD

don't worry, i'm sure i'll be back for software problems, lol...

again, thank you thank you thank you XD

no longer sadboy

no longer sadboy... yea, but now you can't change your nick! LOL

anywho... congrats... and the software is no where near that bad... take a break, grab a beer... (if you old enough that is!!) and relax...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom