Shared Memory/new vid card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gluestick

Beta member
I currently have a computer with shared memory and i wanted to know if its at all possible to get a new video card with out getting a new motherboard. and if so how would i do so, and what kind of card can my computer handle? these are the details on my computer and motherboard.

AMD Athlon 64 X2 2GHz, 1GB RAM, 200GB HDD

Motherboard

Manufacturer: Asus
Motherboard Name: A8M2N-LA
HP/Compaq motherboard name: NodusM3-GL8E

any help at all i would be gratefull thanks.

yes, the shared memory card is built into the motherboard, but as long as it has a PCI, a PCIe x16 or an AGP slot, a seperate graphics card can be put in. you cant both of them together though, and ud need to disable the on board one. also, youve given us the name of 2 motherboards. which one are you using?

after googling the top (which im guessing is the same as the second now) it says you have 3 PCI slots and One PCI Express x16 graphics slot. when you buy a graphics card, just make sure its PCI express and not AGP, and it should be fine.

That board has a PCI-Express slot...if you're looking to upgrade I would look for a used 7950gt,7900GTO, X1950 Pro or x1950xt.

Anything more than that would be overkill for your system.

im guessing he has a 3600+ X2 i wouldn call it an overkill, a 8600GT/GTS is an option

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom