Several questions reguarding custom pc's

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kreator

Solid State Member
-with smart shopping how much will a system capable of running all the graphics intensive games of today cost?

-how far can you get with a budget of about 900 dollars?

-can single core processors compete/ support latest games?

-how good is the evga 7600?

-Whats better 256 of GDDR3 or 512 of GDDR2?

-does 20+4 pin main power connecter mean it is compatable with both 20pin and 24 pin mobos?

lotta questions lol help much appreciated

Kreator said:
-with smart shopping how much will a system capable of running all the graphics intensive games of today cost?

Well, I'd say it's possible to make it around $800 and still be able to run most things. You'll need at least around $1,000 to run all games with medium-high settings.

-how far can you get with a budget of about 900 dollars?

Far enough to play all current games at decent settings. You won't build a killer or super-cool gaming rig, but it'll run things fine.

Just to prove it, I quickly selected a rig at newegg.com. E6300 CPU, DS3 mobo, 1GB DDR2-667 RAM, 7600GT vcard, 200GB HDD, 450W PSU, 17" LCD, 16X DVD burner, XION case and generic mouse / keyboard / speakers (did I forget anything?)... Cost: $908, without shipping. I believe you can take a couple dollars off it if you review it carefully.

-can single core processors compete/ support latest games?

Support? Yes. Dual core processors are not really that big of a deal when it comes to games (yet). A mid- or high-end single core CPU will run the games with no problems (paired with enough ram and a good video card, naturally). However, the dual-cores aren't expensive right now, so there's no reason not to get one.

-how good is the evga 7600?

If you mean the 7600GT (around $120 at newegg I believe), it's a fine video card. The 7600GT is a mid-range card that will run every game on the market right now on medium to high settings. eVGA is also a very good video card manufacturer.

-Whats better 256 of GDDR3 or 512 of GDDR2?

When comparing video cards, don't let the RAM deceive you. It's not uncommon to see crappy video cards with 512MB of cheap RAM, to make them look more appealing. In reality, what matters is the quality of the memory and, of course, the GPU itself. Right now 256MB seem to be enough. In your example I'd definitely go for the 256MB GDDR3.

-does 20+4 pin main power connecter mean it is compatable with both 20pin and 24 pin mobos?

Yes. These PSUs come with a 20-pin main power connector and a separate 4-pin connector. The extra four-pin connector can slide in the main 20-pin connector to accommodate 24-pin mobos.

I'll tell you right now, the more usable parts you have now, the better.

You can take off the LCD and use your current monitor for example. That right there will shave off about $150-$200.

I used my old HD's for the longest time, if you're not using an HP or somethin glike that, you can use your current case too.

Get creative with what you've got.

A 24 pin PSU may not work with a 20 pin. Not all, but some versions of ATX 2 don't have a -5v line which is needed for some 20 pin motherboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom