Setup two HDs, RAID, under XP Pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eugi

Solid State Member
I have an a roughly 2 year old 80gig HD that was the Master on my old system running XP Home. (Don't remember RPM)

Currently I want to buy a 10,000 RPM 120gig HD to be the master in my new system running XP Pro.

In the past all I did was set the jumper on the second HD to slave and hook it up the same way the Master was connected to the Mobo and PSU. Apparently doing this alone resulted in some instablity and I suffered several bad system crashes.

I would like to "do things right" for my new system, however I can find little information on what "RAID" is and how it can be used to set-up two HDs in one system. Also, I'm curious whether the old HD having an XP Home Installation or (possibly) a slower RPM then my new HD will have any adverse effect on the set-up.

I would appreciate if anyone can give me some links to guides or explanations on the best way to set up two HDs in your system.

Thank you!

i think you need identical hard drives for raid to work.. especially since they're different speeds i doubt it'll work.

there are different types of RAID setups for differnet purposes. For performance, RAID 0 is the popular choice. what that does is takes 2 identical hard drives and makes it appear as just one hard drive. when the system is writing to the HD, it writes a bit on each HD making the writing process shorter, and hence faster. if they're different sizes, the hard drive will be limited to the smaller one (e.g. if one is 80gb and the other is 120gb, it will read it as two 80gb hd's). But since your HDDs are different speeds, then raid 0 probably won't work for you.

I'm not sure why it would be unstable if you just have one as primary master and the other as primary slave.. it should be fine..

anyways i don't know much about this junk, so i'll let someone else jump in and help you out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom