A server I got for free, will this work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Demalii

Fully Optimized
-Intel SC5295UP Pedestal Server Chassis, 350W power supply
-Intel S3000AH, SATA RAID, DDR2, 1066MHz FSB, ATX
-Intel Xeon X3220 Quad-Core CPU, 2.4GHz, 8MB cache, 1066MHz FSB
-DDR2 2x512MB 667MHz PC2-5300 Kingston Module
-Seagate 2x80GB SATA-300 HDD, 7200RPM, 8MB cache
-Sony 18x DVD+/-RW Dual-Layer Internal SATA drive, NO SOFTWARE, black
-Sony 1.44MB Floppy Drive, Black

I was going to go all and buy a new gaming rig.. But I need serious opinions on this matter please, because I do want a top of the line style rig...

Obviously the mobo and ram aren't exactly what I would be looking for on a high end gaming rig.. My main question though, would this ram and mobo be enough power for "high end" quality?...

The board is a server board so I'm seriously questioning its ability as well as the fact that the ram might not be overclockable at all (it's probably low end kingston )

Thanks for the help guys!

Well, you would want 2GB ram for gaming... also since its a server MB, it will be designed to handle multi-threaded applications more then games, which for the most part only run 1 thread. So you should be able to run video-editing or rendering or other programs that run multi-threads very well, but gaming, not so much. I hear the dual cores perform better at gaming then the quad cores.

as above lucky you for getting it for free!!!! I would leave it as a server for media usage and storage if you create into your main computer for your home network and then add a 36gb raptor to your actual gaming machine and use the server for all storage just through a simple windows file share of the entire hdd disk

That is such a waste of a xeon quad core server with a gig of ram...

File Servers should be beaten down pentium 3s with more gbs of HD space than mhz of processor. :D

Yeah you can definitely get a fairly pretty penny for it, consider it funding for your gaming rig.

oh, and give me 100 bucks and well call it even

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom