Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmanych

Daemon Poster
I have old Ibm computer lying around and people have said to me to use it as a server... What does a server do? And what is the pro's of having one...

The specs for the old Machine is...

Amd K7 Series 2 500Mhz
256 MB Ram
10 Gb HDD

You could install a webserver like Apache and host your own website on it. You could host a Team Speak server or something else.
The benefits are that you have a lot of space you can use to store files you want to share. Hosting packages with 10GB of space are quite expensive.

However, if you are only using it for a small website, and hardly use any of the space, it would be cheaper to buy hosting. Your power bill will cost more.

Well how would i turn that old computer into a server... What software will i need... Is there a tutorial on how to do it.... :)

One thing to realize that if you do run a server, it will eay up your bandwidth while you are online any other computer on that connection.

TheDiceman said:
One thing to realize that if you do run a server, it will eay up your bandwidth while you are online any other computer on that connection.

Only if lots of bandwidth is used.

You have to decide what type of server you want. If you want your computer to be a webserver you can use install Apache for example. Google for tutorials.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom