Seperate hadrdrive for internet use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScttLee

Solid State Member
For the internet, downloading and such, would it be safer to have a small IDE harddrive for use on the internet?

I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L motherboard. It has 4 SATA slots and 1 IDE slot. I am currently using 2 SATA slots for CD drive combos and 1 SATA for 250G HDD. I am planning on getting a second SATA 250G harddrive in the futere. XP Pro6 4x

Thanks

Safer as in reliability? I don't think it matters either way, the advantage SATA has over IDE is speed, and you can't download at those speeds anyway. So for downloading and web stuff, you should see no speed loss or any less reliability issues either way.

Hello,

Do you mean saving all your downloads to a separate, dedicated hard drive?

You'd gain little if not no benefit in terms of security.

You would, however, gain a huge security advantage if you browsed the net in a VM..especially if you view "questionable" content. ;)

Just make sure to backup the VM once you have flash/java/ect configged, resetting it up once you become overloaded with spyware is no fun. Its much easier to delete it and boot from the backup.

Virtual Machine.

It allows you to run a new OS in a box on your current one. You can boot it and shut it down, install aps onto it, ect, and there is no way anything in the virtual machine can affect your main pc.

Vmware has a free version of their software. Lacks some of the features, but works. Also there qemu and virtualbox.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom