Sempron 64??

Status
Not open for further replies.

sprtnbsblplya

Daemon Poster
Ok, so I'm a broke college student and was just informed that my CPU is a big bottleneck of mine (2500+ Barton), and I am well aware that my nForce 2 motherboard in a tiny Shuttle case is slowing me down some.

Sooo, I was looking at upgrades, and am considering using a Sempron 64 either 2800+ or 3000+, as they are both a good value for someone who doesnt have much money.

I would just recycle the 512 RAM (and add another 512), the 120 gig hard drive, the DVD drive, and the 6600gt graphics card.
Would this be a decent system in the end?

Well, what are you planning on using the system for?

If its gaming, you wont be able to go to High or Ultra High with it.

I am planning on using it for some gaming and basic tasks, games being Half Life 2, World of Warcraft, Morrowind IV.

I just wanted to make sure that it would be better than the 2500+ Barton that I'm running now, if its not much better then I dont want to make the upgrade.

Well with the cpu you wont notice much of a difference man. If I were you I'd invest it all in the graphics card and go for a 6800GS. That will definately be an upgrade you'll be able to notice.

Umm, "broke college student", I dont have any room in my budget for a 6800 model.

I've already got a 6600gt so I'm going to have to be content with that.

Would it make more difference if I threw some more RAM into my comp instead of a new processor?
I ask because earlier I asked about my lag in heavily populated areas of World of Warcraft and somebody said it was my CPU.

So if I upped the RAM to like 1 gig or 1.5 gigs would that be more beneficial than a CPU upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom