Selecting the right graphics card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuffles

Solid State Member
I know what type of graphics card i need, but looking at all the choices makes me worry i will find out i could have gotten something way better for $10 more or something silly like that!

I have been looking at the nvida geforce 8600gt and the 8600gts.

Specifically, these two cards:

1. Newegg.com - XFX PVT84JUSD4 GeForce 8600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail
2. Newegg.com - MSI NX8600GTS-T2D256E-OC GeForce 8600GTS 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

The XFX one looks like the best card i can get for a PC with no **** power connectors (wtf is dell's problem, seriously)

Or the MSI one, i could buy a PSU and that.

How much of a difference is there? I read the only dif between the 8600's is the clock speed. So shouldn't the only performance difference between these two be the fact that the MSI one is 20mhz faster?

Also how big of a difference is the 1600mhz mem clock vs 2100mhz.

The price difference is about $60 all said and done. (I would need a new PSU for the 8600gts)

All i know is they are both better than my integrated 6150SE with only a single vga connector. My eyes are killing me from how fuzzy it makes text on my monitor at 1440x900. :dead:

The ati looks like i will never have a problem with overheating that beast.

How big of an advantage is 512mb vs 256mb video memory?

I don't want to spend more than $200. I like these suggestions, I never considered the HD 3850.

Is it even worth it to look at cards w/o external power?

DANG! I agree... but will his PSU be enough to power it?? the 512MB is nice, but given the 3850... blows both of them away... but what's your power supply? Hopefully more than 400W. 450-500W would be the best.

Rofl, dell's 300w piece of crap!
Heck, i don't even know if it will power 3 disk drives and the XFX mentioned in the first post.

OH... then I guess you might need to upgrade... but before you can do that, we need to know the model of your system, so we can hack it apart and hopefully come up with a solution... What would be your budget if you built new? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom