SDD only for OS.. worth it?

Add a SSD to PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd go with at least 120GB so you can have all your programs on your SSD.

Fast start-up times are nice, but waiting for your hard disk to spin up when you run a program sucks.

Okay so to update this.. I ended up getting a 64gb SSD.. After installing Win 7 Pro I had 38 gigs free. I installed my browser to it as well as some of the more frequently access media like my top played playlist. and its crazy how fast it is.. It boots to the loading screen in 7 seconds flat. LOVE IT! I recommend this to anyone except now that SSDs are getting cheap you can spend about 100$ to get ~200+gb.

Im planning on getting either 64 or 120gbs when i do the rest of the laptops.. but it is inevitable.. i love the improvement of performance

Last edited:
Yea 120s are dirt cheap. Can get a 250GB EVO for like 129 now or something like that.

If this is your first SSD, welcome to the future that's been around since 2008.

I'm still putting off upgrading because I'm waiting for 512's and 1TB's to come down in price more. My laptop is pretty much my primary machine now, and I have lots of stuff on the 2 drives I have in it.

I'm still putting off upgrading because I'm waiting for 512's and 1TB's to come down in price more. My laptop is pretty much my primary machine now, and I have lots of stuff on the 2 drives I have in it.
Yup, same, more or less.

Waiting for 1TB EVO 840s to go under 350 and getting one for Steam and Origin to sit on my machine itself (since Origin ****ed me).

Waiting for M.2 Gen 3 x4 chips to come out and drop so I can get a 250/256GB one.

Thinking about getting an adapter board for my laptop that goes into the SATA bay, and then gives me 2 or 3 mSATA slots. I know MSI has one in other models of their laptops; called a SuperRAID card I believe...I think it lets you use each separately instead of forcing in RAID..but not too sure. That way I could have 2 or 3 mSATA + another SSD or HDD :lol:.

Yea 120s are dirt cheap. Can get a 250GB EVO for like 129 now or something like that.

If this is your first SSD, welcome to the future that's been around since 2008.

Yea it is my first SSD.. and eff you lol.. I've had my 4tb HDD for a while and haven't filled it up so i havent had a genuine need. Although a few laptops for my company I'll be moving over to SSDs to give them a nice boost.

I'm like you folks i want to mass storage on SSD but its just not practical yet..

Thinking about getting an adapter board for my laptop that goes into the SATA bay, and then gives me 2 or 3 mSATA slots. I know MSI has one in other models of their laptops; called a SuperRAID card I believe...I think it lets you use each separately instead of forcing in RAID..but not too sure. That way I could have 2 or 3 mSATA + another SSD or HDD :lol:.
That sounds interesting. I'm just going to buy the Plexter M6e board for M.2. I don't see myself upgrading more core components anytime in the near future.

Yea it is my first SSD.. and eff you lol.. I've had my 4tb HDD for a while and haven't filled it up so i havent had a genuine need. Although a few laptops for my company I'll be moving over to SSDs to give them a nice boost.

I'm like you folks i want to mass storage on SSD but its just not practical yet..
There is always a need for every machine to have an SSD at least for the boot drive. I personally wish HDDs would die soon. They are a serious bottleneck to the PC. I've had mass storage for a long time but there are certain things I'm wanting to move to SSD asap.

I am going to stick with Samsung EVOs myself.

Back
Top Bottom