SDD only for OS.. worth it?

Add a SSD to PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'd like to know what all people are installing program wise onto their SSD to fill up 120GB. I have most common apps installed onto my SSD including more uncommon audio apps and without any games at all have like 70GB free. There are only a select few games that actually benefit from being installed onto the SSD.

Don't forget you'll need free space on the drive for over provisioning. I started out with a 90gb ocz drive but had to be sure I limited was was going into this drive all the time. Now that I have this 250gb EVO I'm not longer concerned about space issues. I'm sure that I'll eventually upgrade to a 500gb range ssd. I've seen 1tb ssd's on sale too

I'd like to know what all people are installing program wise onto their SSD to fill up 120GB. I have most common apps installed onto my SSD including more uncommon audio apps and without any games at all have like 70GB free. There are only a select few games that actually benefit from being installed onto the SSD.
Development tools take up a lot of space :p. Only have a 120gig on my work computer... and I'm down to about 20gig left.

Don't forget you'll need free space on the drive for over provisioning. I started out with a 90gb ocz drive but had to be sure I limited was was going into this drive all the time. Now that I have this 250gb EVO I'm not longer concerned about space issues. I'm sure that I'll eventually upgrade to a 500gb range ssd. I've seen 1tb ssd's on sale too

Seen the Samsung 840 EVO 1TB's on sale for <$400 I believe.

Another reason to get a larger SSD would be for programs...part of the reason of having an SSD is having an increased speed in launching and using programs, yes? Installing them to a storage partition would kinda defeat the purpose. I have a 128gb SSD that's nearly full at the moment unfortunately and I still have things I'd like to install...

Well this is the large majority of the reason I'm asking - I know the benefits of an SSD but i want to know from those who use them if they think the benefit would be worth just dedicating to the OS?

I'm not ready to move into SSD for storage; still far too uneconomical.

Ehh, if you do any form of gaming your going to want the games on your SSD. As far as just having the OS on the SSD, yeah, you see some faster boot times and the such, but having everything else on a standard HDD, even in Raid0 or 5 is much slower... Trust me, I ran an SSD and 2 WD Blacks in R0 for years and it got to the point I had to start putting games on the SSD because the games would freeze due to the HDD taking too long.

yes it is worth it. i personally ran my old 120gb ssd as my os and first 2tb 7200rpm for games and my second 2tb for just backup and such.
whats great about doing that is if ur os gets compromised u dont have to worry about losing ur games or backups wen u wipe windows.

It's absolutely worth it - just upgraded mine to 128 gb ssd this past spring. Boot times are WAY faster and applications run faster.

Honestly, for me, Diablo 3, Starcraft II, and PLEX eat up about 50GB together.
SC2 loads at the same speed from my 3TB as it does from my SSD. Had it on my SSD during Quakecon and moved it over with no lack in speed. Only difference being how quickly it actually fires up. In game, 0 difference.

Also recently decided to try moving Watch Dogs over. Loading times going from menu to game increased about 3 seconds. Not worth it to me to hog up 17GB on my SSD for that. I've never touched Diablo 3 so have no idea. Going by the gist of things, I'd be willing to bet not much of a practical difference. Not compared to say, Skyrim with mods, or Battlefield. Those two moving to an SSD can literally shed minutes off the loading times. So they get an SSD of their own in my setup.

As to the OP, 90% of the point of having an SSD is to have your OS on it. The overall responsiveness of your whole machine gets an improvement by simply having your OS on an SSD. It improves further when you add other smaller things that seem insignificant like the browser to an SSD. If you ever doubt the improvements, use an SSD for a month then go back to a HDD. You will soon realize how HDDs have held us back for so long.

Back
Top Bottom