SDD only for OS.. worth it?

Add a SSD to PC?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Windows 7 HP with SP1 is actually about 30GB. When you add all the updates it goes over 30GB. The 20GB recommendation was made back before 2009 when it was being developed and they have rolled out a ton of updates since. I also do believe that 20GB was for Basic/Starter editions but I could be wrong.

20GB was for base Windows 7 install - I think it was for all versions IIRC.

But yes, exactly like I was saying. 32GB wouldn't be enough after all the updates and other extra stuff that needs to go in for just the OS.

I was basically just backing what you said up with more information. For anybody wondering I'm only using SP1 with no updates and my Windows folder by itself is 18GB.

Yea I won't be recommending the 850s over the EVO until their price per dollar becomes reasonable at this day and age. The 10 year warranty is there because they know that the amount of rewrites these and their previous drives could take is higher than somebody would do in 10+ years. The 840pro can sustain petabytes of writes, so I wouldn't doubt the EVO could last as long.

Another reason to get a larger SSD would be for programs...part of the reason of having an SSD is having an increased speed in launching and using programs, yes? Installing them to a storage partition would kinda defeat the purpose. I have a 128gb SSD that's nearly full at the moment unfortunately and I still have things I'd like to install...

You can get away with a 60GB SSD, I did for many years, but you will find that you will NEED another HDD to install almost everything onto... 120GB SSD is the bare minimum IMO if you want to avoid installing most everything to another HDD. I ended up with a 128GB Samsung 830 and its only got 10GB free now after installing everything onto it...

Back
Top Bottom