SATA power connector. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:59 AM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie

Default SATA power connector.

I just bought an additional hard drive, OEM naturally, and now I know I need to buy at least the interface cable. My current hard drive appears to have both connectors used; I see a white and black connector connected to it. I'm assuming only one is needed, so could I simply disconnect one and use it on my new drive? (I didn't build my current system myself).

Old 08-08-2008, 02:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
AKA , gt7sanremo

Default Re: SATA power connector.

I don't understand. The white and black connector that you mention, is it the power cord going to the hard drive or is it the cord that connects your hard drive to your motherboard? Because if it's either one of those, you definetly need them in for your current hard drive to work.

Random movie quote to make you seem hip and "with it":
"Please take the chairs away. I don't like them. The big one is staring at me and that short one is being very droll."
Old 08-08-2008, 02:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Private Joker

I'm thinking the white one he mentioned is a molex power adapter, while the black one is the normal SATA power adapter. Some SATA drives have both. If that's the case... Then you only need 1 of those plugged in. You should only have 2 cables coming off of your drive: Power, and data. On a SATA drive, both the power/data connectors are L shaped, the power L-connector being the longer one. So if you have a cord going to each L-connector, you don't need the molex plug (4 pin, flat on one side and rounted on the other side).

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 08-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

there is a benefit to using the sata power, but if you don't need it, molex (white 4 pin) will do
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

OK, well my new drive only has SATA power, so I'm assuming its safe for me to disconnect the SATA power from my current drive and use it for the new drive, unless the benefit of having both use SATA outweighs the benefit of less cabling. Should I buy another power connector?
Old 08-08-2008, 03:40 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

you could buy one of these

Newegg.com - molex to sata power
Old 08-08-2008, 03:55 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie

What would the benefit be of purchasing one?
It's piqued my interest. If it's anything to do with hot swapping, I don't do that.
Old 08-08-2008, 04:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

well, buying an adaptor would do nothing more than allow you to have your new drive and your "current" drive both in use...as opposed to one not being used. Using a molex to sata negates the hotswapping benefit of sata

however, what you would really be losing out on is "staggered spinup":
Spin-up - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 08-08-2008, 04:58 PM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic tofu View Post
well, buying an adaptor would do nothing more than allow you to have your new drive and your "current" drive both in use...as opposed to one not being used.
My old drive has both molex and sata connectors connected to it. If I remove the sata connector and use it for my new drive, wouldn't that enable both drives to be in use at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomic tofu View Post
however, what you would really be losing out on is "staggered spinup":
Spin-up - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If the benefit of staggered spinup outweighs the drawbacks of more cabling and price, I think I'll get one.
Old 08-08-2008, 05:11 PM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

staggered spinup helps and just makes your system more efficient...maybe you have 3 drives? 2 hd and 1 optical? adding more with staggered spinup means the system is less likely to sputter, stall and error out on start up and during many system operations

ah, old drive has molex so it would be using molex and new using sata...good to go

Closed Thread