SATA and IDE problems abound, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

fausage5440

Solid State Member
K so I recently had a bad mobo so I ordered a duplicate Asus A7N8X-E motherboard. I bought a new WD raptor drive for a clean install and I have a 250 gig IDE drive that has Windows Vista that I no longer wanted to use.. K so now that u know the gist.

I did a clean install on the Raptor drive of XP, had to use the SATA controller drivers on a floppy to get it to work. Then i plugged in my IDE drive and changed my bios so that I would boot the SCSI(sata) drive first(had problems unless i did that, it tried to boot the IDE). Everything worked perfect once i had the right settings. I could see the IDE drive in windows, manipulate it. So i thought since everything was running smoothly i could connect my DVD-R drive back up. So i switched a few things around and connected a DVD drive, DVD-R drive and my IDE HD on my ide channels(I think I may have switched the channel on the HD, from master to primary, but i didn't think that mattered much??). Sorry this is long winded i just want u to know my process.

Well now half if not 90 percent of the configurations i do, windows will load the SATA drive, but right as the blue windows welcome screen is supposed to come up it turns itself off kinda like a tv screen turning off. No windows boots up cause i dont hear the welcome windows sound. So is that the graphics card? Or the old IDE HD giving me problems? I suspected it was the IDE, cause i tried to copy some files (mp3, documents etc,) when i had a succesful boot up with both the raptor and IDE, and it completely locked up my system about half way through the copy. I think i just need to format it completely and get rid of old vista and everything, but I NEED some of the files on my IDE HD. So i need help figuring out why the IDE HD could be causing my whole windows to not load up, it shoudln't be a bad drive as its fairly new. I just got the Raptor drive as an added speed bonus. The weird thing is, if i unplug the IDE hd completely the raptor drive now wont boot up the fresh Windows XP install i just did, its like its needing that IDE drive now, it sucks.

Any suggestions on programs that can copy HD folders(specficall IDE to SATA not in Windows) easily would be well appreciated, And does my IDE drive since it was initially setup as lets say the E, have to stay that way in the config for windows to boot back up properly again? Alot of questions I know...thanks for any help!

Note: that SCSI and SATA are NOT the same thing... There DO exist adaptors to use a SATA drive with a SCSI card, but just note that they are NOT the same kind of interface.

My suggestion would be to strip down the build to a bare minimum, CPU, RAM, Motherboard, PSU, GPU, and the SATA drive... Format and re-install XP on the SATA drive (shouldn't be a problem, since you said it is brand new). Once you get that up and running, power down the computer, unplug it, install the IDE hard drive as SLAVE (jumpers are on the HDD for this, should be a key or legend on the HDD label), plug the computer back in, and power it up. You SHOULD be booting off of the SATA drive, and once you are in windows, simply move the needed files off of the IDE drive.

Once that is done, power down the machine again and unplug it. Make the IDE drive the MASTER, unplug the SATA drive, plug the computer back in, power it up, and format the IDE drive. Once this is done, AGAIN power it down, unplug it, put the SATA drive back, set IDE to SLAVE, and plugin & start up again.. You should be in windows. From there, power down, & unplug the PC to add any new components... Since you have had issues with this in the past, I would recommend adding ONE piece of hardware at a time, starting with the MOST NEEDED part first. Do you have 2 different DVD drives, 1 recorder, 1 read only drive? start with the recorder.

Also, what hardware are you using?

I realize that the SATA (SCSI) thing is weird. But from what i've read on my asus motherboard on the forums is that the SATA is recognized as a SCSI in the bios. Before i added this 2nd drive and tried to get it to work the computer was booting fine. I think the problem lies in this IDE hd and all the crap thats on it. I really at this point just want to save my music,pictures, I can replace everything else later.My roomate said i needed to reset the cmos everytime i change ide drives? Is thjat true? i didn't think it was. But it would explain why im having so many configuration problems with my ide stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom