SATA and IDE, IDE not detected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphael Argus

Daemon Poster
Hello Everyone,

Appreciate any troubleshooting advice, I installed a new SATA drive and chose the combine install in the BIOS to run both a SATA as master and have a secondary IDE. I did NOT change the jumpers on the IDE, I left them at cable select. My primary drive is a Maxtor and it came with MaxBlast software which I booted from initially and then installed my OS. Everything went smoothly, except the IDE drive is not being seen.

What types of troubleshooting steps should I take for this? Before I start screwing things up I'll post here, since all the advice I was given here for installing the SATA drive was perfect =)

250GB Maxtor SATA0
75GB Western Digital IDE on cable select

the 75GB drive does have my OC XP Pro on it and it was my previous boot drive. Essentially, I did nothing physically to the drive, just enabled SATA controller in BIOS and chose combine to run both SATA and IDE.

If you need more information, LMK!

set SATA0 to master, and change the jumper on the IDE drive to slave. After that, run your hard drive sequence in 'Combined mode', if you have that option, then it will check your sata and ide settings to see where master is set and slave is set, so you will be fine.

Ok, set up combined mode and set jumped on my IDE drive to Slave. In BIOS Maxtor is set to Master, but it is not picking up my IDE drive at all in auto detection or windows. If I swap to Enhanced mode in BIOS it boots from my IDE drive as Master and allows me to access my SATA as slave. How can I fix this?

Couldn't figure it out, just set it up on my second PC as a Slave IDE. I can access the drive through my network, so no big deal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom