SATA 2 Compatability

Status
Not open for further replies.

m3trj

Fully Optimized
I am going to be buying a new hard drive, and I was thinking in terms of the future, I want a SATA 2 drive, but I only have a motherboard that supports regular SATA. Are SATA 2 drives backward compatable with older SATA motherboards?

I understand that if they are compatable the drive will only run at regular SATA speeds, 150MB/sec.

Thanks.

According to customer reviews yes, most of the time they're compatible, though sometimes you have to play around with your mobo configuration for it to recognize the new card ("no drives available" seems to come up a lot when people discuss trying to install it. Meaning, there's no auto config, but this shouldn't be too much of a problem).

As for how fast it runs, I've seen mixed info in reviews and threads; some say it'll run as high as it should on its own, other say it'll only max til what the mobo is used to (meaning, maybe you can configure that too to let it run the sata higher?)

That's all I can offer just from what I've read. I don't know firsthand =/. Hope it helps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom