Sapphire HD 4870 1GB Question - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
El Mágico

Default Re: Sapphire HD 4870 1GB Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by S0ULphIRE View Post
Personally I tend to avoid all ATI cards in favor of nVidia ones on the grounds that I've always found the drivers from nVidia to be of a much higher standard.
True dat....I've found ATI drivers to be a horror show mostly too, compared to nVidia.

| i5-4690K@4.4 | MSI Z97 Gaming 5 | 2x8Gb G.Skill Ripjaws@2133/CL9 | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Design Define R5 | Samsung Evo 840 500Gb | Dell 3415W | 2xMSI 980Ti Gaming 6 SLI | Corsair RM 850i | Corsair K70 | Proteus Core | Windows 10 x64 Pro | FiiO E17 Alpen as DAC/amp | AKG K551 | Blue Snowball iCE |
Old 07-09-2009, 04:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Content Team

I switched to ATI for my current build for the first time, and I'd say I'm pretty happy with it.

I have always been hesitant due to the drivers issue, but thus far I have yet to experience any setbacks due to drivers not functioning properly or not being available for the game I want to play.

I've even been playing the AION beta, which uses an updated version of Crytek, and superb performance, 120-200 frames even in densely populated areas with the 4870 1gb. Granted, the engine was tweaked to be easier on the gpu, I was curious to see if DRIVER problems would arise with an unreleased game.

I also heard people complaining about the new game Trine, which uses a lot of physics, and saying if you don't have an nvidia card then the game is super choppy etc, but I have had no problems with the game. You can download the nvidia ageia physx software and use it with your ati card for certain games.

I guess it really comes down to your build and budget. Don't be afraid of ATI, I sort of was but now I am quite happy with it.

Old 07-09-2009, 06:16 PM   #13 (permalink)
True Techie

I have the 4870, its a breze, I haven't tried to OC it yet, but other people who use it say that its easy and safe to OC... unless your really pushing the OC'ing
Old 07-09-2009, 07:50 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by vernong1992 View Post
But I think the HD 4800's have really given nVIdia a run for their money (literally), they've forced them to price stuff more competively in order to stay in the game. They were planning on charging $300 and something for a GTX 260 originally until the HD 4870 came out and $500 for a GTX 280 and finally $200 for a 9800GTX.
Oh yeah, I don't doubt that. They're a decent bunch of cards to be sure, it's just I've found they sometimes require a lot of fiddling around before it starts working the way it was built to.
I mean, as an honest question, which company would you say was ahead in driver development? ATI or nVidia?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-09-2009, 07:58 PM   #15 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Currently, I'd say AMD, in the past I'd say nVidia
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-09-2009, 08:13 PM   #16 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via MSN to S0ULphIRE

^dude, you've got to be kidding! Have you owned a nVidia card recently? Judging by your sig you haven't. Google around a little, I think you'll find most driver problem posts are with the CCC drivers, or nVidia beta drivers but I think that's why they're labeled 'beta'.

However, assuming you indeed have something like a 9800GTX tucked away somewhere, on what ground would you say AMD beats nVidia's drivers?
"As a result of all this hardship, dirt, thirst, and wombats, you would expect Australians to be a sour lot. Instead, they are genial, jolly, cheerful, and always willing to share a kind word with a stranger, unless they are an American." -- Douglas Adams
Old 07-09-2009, 08:24 PM   #17 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

As opposed to installing my nVidia fanboy friend's rigs (mostly 9800's and GTX series) and other friends who were willing to try AMD, I've had less problems with current Gen AMD's as opposed to the original one's which I must say were remotely bad. You are right though, I haven't owned an nVidia card, and I don't plan to either, I think my HD 3850 512MB is quite sufficient and all my rants about wanting more GPU power is just for GTA IV.

My worst luck with nVidia's drivers was their SLI support and dealing with nVidia chipset drivers. However, this is just my experiences, but 7/8 problems is still pretty bad; but I am an unlucky person.

With AMD's side, I did have a bit of trouble with the HD 2900's (way worse than nVidia's luck), but the drivers did improve with time though. No problems with the HD 3850 of mine, but I did have a fair share of bad luck with my friend's HD 3870 and HD 3850 CFX mode... I think he ended up selling those and just got an HD 4800, which he has had no bad luck with, as have with my other friends. Zmatt hasn't had any bad luck at all with his dual HD 4850's but I think Drizzt5 has been having some crap luck with dual HD 4850's.

I'm not saying nVidia are bad in drivers, just currently, AMD's winning both the war and the driver support. In the past I would have said nVidia won hands down.

(But I am comparing GTX's and HD 4000's when I mean currently though)
I do not accept help requests and/or deleted threads/complaints by PM, Profile or IM/Email. Just ask on the forums! Also, I do have Lockerz invites if you want them, feel free to PM me your email if you want one :0

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the
or under my avatar; it helps me know that my advice actually helped you.

.. But things don't go according to plan! My Actual Rig, 2009:
Old 07-09-2009, 08:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to philbar71

hmm, it's kindve hard to compare drivers from ATI and Nvidia. i mean there are no benchmarks or anything to look at so all we have to go on is peoples opnion. not entirely fair.

i would however say that back in the days of the x1950xtx days their drivers were terrible me and my dad had alot of problems with that card and the drivers. but i did play around with a 4670 for a few days and i can say the drivers were alot better than what they used to be.

this is just my personal opinion, but i would say that nvidia currently has the best driver support. they tend to release new drivers, that i have seen improvements in games, every 3-4 weeks. then there is the betas in between.

The only thing ATi can render faster than nVidia is the BSOD

SLI ON INTEL P45: http://www.techist.com/pc/f76/sli-intel-chipset-219886/

<<< i like rep :D
Old 07-10-2009, 02:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Content Team

ATI drivers these days are leaps and bounds ahead of where they were even a year ago, competitively vs nvidia. There were times when games simply wouldn't even support ATI cards.

Now, however, I think you'll be hard pressed to find a new game that doesn't have ATI support, or one that suffers considerably because of your drivers being ATI over NVidia. A lot of issues I've seen also stem from user error and people seeing the CCC and going ape wild on overclocking etc, or using drivers from their gpu installation disc, etc.

I'm no ATI fanboy, I've always used NVidia until now, but as I said in my earlier post, my fears about ATI were unnecessary. So far no problems at all. Well, unless you can count the fact that CCC won't let me force anti aliasing on some 10 year old games ;P.

But I digress. The OP wanted to know if he should avoid the 4870, and I say NO! Buy it!
Old 07-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #20 (permalink)
Mod Emeritus

When I was playing Far Cry 2 with my 8800gs the display driver would stop responding every 30 minutes or so however when I played it on another system running an ATI card I never had a problem. Based off that I would say ATI's drivers can beat nvidia's in some situations.

AMD Phenom II x4 955 Black Edition : Asus M4A89GTD PRO : Corsair 550VX
G.SKILL Ripjaws 4x2gb DDR3 1600 : MSI Geforce GTX 770 2gb : Antec 300
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD (OS) : SanDisk Ultra 120gb SSD (Apps) : Crucial M500 240gb (Steam) : Win 8.1 Pro 64bit
2x Samsung 2494LW & 1x Dell U2312HM Eyefinity

Lenovo ThinkPad X220 : Core i5 2410M : 12.5" 1366x768 IPS LED display : Intel 320 Series 120gb SSD

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 stock 4.3 : Nexus 7 2 stock 4.4

Closed Thread