Running single and sli 970 on 8350.

azor7878

Baseband Member
Hello!
I'm about to get a new cpu and from reading this:
Will a FX 8350 bottleneck 2x gtx 970 in sli? - Graphics Cards - Linus Tech Tips
https://forum.teksyndicate.com/t/upgraded-from-amd-8350-to-i7-4790k-no-real-improvement-in-gaming
threads i think that 8350 should be fine for single and even dual 970s as i'm planning to get another gpu in the future.

As i'm practically days from getting the cpu i want just a final confirmation that i'm not wasting money.
Intel is not an option because i already had to buy a mobo since my old died and i had to get one that supports both old and new cpu.
I will overclock both cpu and gpu as soon as i upgrade psu and cpu cooler.

So i guess my question and tldr is:
Generally, what can i expect from it with 970 and 970 sli?
Will the 8350 get similar fps to 4690k-4790k? I mean 0-15 difference when 70+
How big performance improvement will i get over my 1055t@3.5

btw. I'm not playing any rts or arma games, i like to mod my bethesda games tho but now with phenom i get 70+ fps in fnv with ~130 mods

games i will play:
witcher 2 and 3
saints row 3 and 4
metro last light and 2033 redux
ets 2 with mods
minecraft
fallout 3 and nv with mods
skyrim with mods
assassins creed 4
bad company 2
far cry 3 and 4
wolfenstein the new order
stalker call of pripyat with mods

Current PC specs:
Windows 7 64bit
Corsair 230t
Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
Corsair CX500M
Phenom II x6 1055t @3,5Ghz
CoolerMaster 212 evo
GTX 970 G1 Gaming
HyperX Fury 2x8GB 1866
Samsung 840 evo 120gb
Seagate Barracuda 500GB 7200RPM

Really the only games that will give you some problems might be Skyrim or Stalker but that's only slim.

The biggest bottleneck will be if your board drops to 8/8 when running SLI. Slimmed down 2.0 lanes will hold the cards back more than the processor. Also if you go SLI 970 you'll want to update your PSU as the budget CX500 won't cut it.

So you think no bottleneck with a single 970? You see, i asked the same question on ltt and literally everyone there told me to go for the 4670k, i don't have the money for it but acording to the threads i listed and this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20QPpIqo-YY
they are pretty close when overclocked, do you think my cooler/psu will handle any 8350 oc or do i have to upgrade them before even starting?

They aren't really that close but it doesn't matter much if you can't change platforms anyways.

If you oc then you'll need a new psu, and if you want to sli you'll need a new psu. Biggest issue there with the fx8350 is its power hungry. Your 212 should do stock clocks fine.

Don't have time to watch them, but those vids are old. The 4th gen series has a good 10% increase in IPC over the 3rd gen. If you plan to stream and use Nvidia cards CPU performance there is moot. I kinda remember The Tek's video, and if I remember right they used older games to test too.

What about the Tweaktown article? It shows exactly what I've been saying, and even wrote an article on this site about. The 4930k used is a 3rd gen which in 90% of the testing is faster than the 8350 (and 4th gen CPUs will be even faster). The biggest deal is the variance in minimum FPS where dips will show you the weakest link more than average FPS. The games Tweaktown used are pretty terrible with showing that, as I know even on my rig Metro gets a minimum of 2 just because of a stutter in one bench scene. Unigine isn't a good example either for the same reason. Average close to 200FPS and yet my minimum is 34 due to a load stutter (which is common). The bench itself basically just says, the 8350 will run 970 SLI fine, but Intel will be faster with less stuttering. Just remember if you want to use SLI 970s or OC the 8350 at all, you will need to update your PSU.

To the other forum, bunch of idiots IMO. Phenom 2 was faster than Zambezi, not Vishera.

I know that this psu won't support second card or gpu/cpu oc with the fx, just as my current cooler. My plan is to get the nh-d14 or 15, not decided yet and a rm850.

Right now i can't keep my 970 busy, will i be able to keep it at 80-100% usage with the 8350?

If you're able to afford a dh14, new cpu, and an rm850 (which is too much power anyways) then you could move to Intel. Kinda defeats the purpose. I also wouldn't waste your money on an air cooler.

What game are you playing that isn't loading your gpu?

Back
Top Bottom