Is this the right driver for my cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denise_M

In Runtime
Hi,

This is what my computer has:

- Biostar TFORCE 6100-939 mobo which supports dual channel DDR
- Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 SATA 3.0Gb/s 320Gb hard drive (RAID array not set up)
- AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+ Toledo 2.2GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939 Processor
- ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 64 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
- Corsair 620W PSU
- Ballistix 2x1G RAM, 184-pin DIMM, 128MX64 DDR PC3200, Unbuffered
- NORCO-4618 PCI-X / PCI eSATA / SATA II / SATA I Controller Card RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD
- Windows XP X64, SP2
- NetFramework 2.0 Redistributable Pack for X64

The cpu and hsf are new.

I have a few minor problems with my pc so I want to format it. I have the drivers for everything except the cpu. I found this page that looks like it has the driver that I need, but I've missed the mark several times for other things, so I want to make sure that this is the one:

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Driver Version 1.3.2.0053 for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 (x86 and x64)

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Utilities and Updates

Before I do anything that I wish I hadn't, can someone tell me if this is the right driver for my cpu? It doesn't say "Toledo" or "Socket 939".

Thanks

CPU's don't need drivers on Windows.. what that is is the Dual-Core Optimizer..

Hi vernong . . . thanks for responding.

I wouldn't mind a little optimization. ;)

If I installed this file, would I have to change the settings/get updated drivers for other things, i.e, chipset, on-board VGA, etc? I updated them a few months ago and still have the updates in a folder, and I'll be installing them after I format.

I don't know why the link doesn't work. I copied and pasted it from the address bar.

AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64 X2 Dual Core Processor Utilities and Updates

That file probably won't hurt and if you use the computer for gaming, it should help in some games. As stated before, CPUs as such don't need drivers and that file most likely wedges itself into the OS at a low level to try to intercept and reroute certain calls games might make. Doesn't sound like it does much for other types of software like web browsers and word processors. They're not likely to try to bypass anything in the OS.

However, do make sure you have the latest drivers for the motherboard. Especially have the driver for on-board LAN. Other drivers such as those for on-board video and on-board sound (if you have those) can always be downloaded once the initial install is finished. If the LAN isn't working .. it's a bit tougher to download that driver. You'd have to download it to some other PC and copy it over.

Thanks Capricorn . . .

I don't do gaming but I do a lot, a very BIG lot with videos (movies, tv shows, cartoons).

The motherboard comes with a disk, so I'm assuming that the driver is installed when I insert it into the CD/DVD ROM drive. I've formatted this pc before but not with the new cpu and never had a problem, but the old cpu needed a driver:

"amdcpusetup" "AMD Athlonâ„¢ 64/FX Processor Driver for Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 Version (x86 and x64 exe) 1.3.2.16 - Allows the system to automatically adjust the CPU speed, voltage and power combination that match the instantaneous user performance need. Download this Setup Installation program (EXE) to automatically update all the files necessary for installation. This package is recommended for users whom desire a graphical user interface for installation. This .EXE driver is a user friendly localized software installation of the driver designed for end-users. This driver supports AMD Athlon 64/FX processors on Windows XP SP2, Windows 2003 SP1 x84 and x64 Editions. "

Thus the reason for asking what driver the cpu needs.

I have the latest driver for my mobo . . . Biostar TForce 6100-939 Chipset and Biostar TForce 6100-939 On-Board VGA.

Those were the only ones available (about 6 months ago). If more updates are needed, please let me know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom