rig for running 1080p on television - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default rig for running 1080p on television

Hi, i'm looking at buying a new computer which will allow me to stream things off usenet.

- download at 2.5MB/s
- unrar a h.264 file about 2GB in size
- play file in trueHD on a 1080p television.

all at the same time.

is it going to be very expensive to get a machine which will be able to do this easily?

at the moment i've only got a little laptop which can bearly play h.264 files smoothly.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Default Re: rig for running 1080p on television

Quote:
2.5MB/s
um this isnt something that ur computer achieves its ur internet provider... and good luck finding something that fast lol

how much can u spend?

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
Old 10-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

i've got a 20mbit connection which i max out regularly but my laptop can't really handle the load, transfering onto the hard disk at 2.5MB/s, rearranging the files to put them together and then playing back in hd is pretty much impossible. I don't even have the performance to play a h.264 .mkv file when my computer is doing nothing else.

Streaming divx is manageable, and so is streaming DVD images but when it come to the high def stuff my computer basically can't cope.

So i thought i'd get a desk top computer which can handle it. but i didn't know if it was a decent graphics card i neded to handle the picture, or a decent processor to handle the computing of the picture or a just decen't hard disks to make the transfering of the data more smooth.

i'm looking for the right setup that will not break a sweat doing this, but also not break the bank. when buying a new computer it always makes sense to me to buy the best of everything that there is available - but i didn't know if this was actually necessary. I don't really use my computer for high end gaming, or design. i use my computer to browse websites, type up documents, and download and watch 5GB h.264 rips of blue ray movies.
Old 10-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phenz View Post
i've got a 20mbit connection which i max out regularly but my laptop can't really handle the load, transfering onto the hard disk at 2.5MB/s, rearranging the files to put them together and then playing back in hd is pretty much impossible. I don't even have the performance to play a h.264 .mkv file when my computer is doing nothing else.

Streaming divx is manageable, and so is streaming DVD images but when it come to the high def stuff my computer basically can't cope.

So i thought i'd get a desk top computer which can handle it. but i didn't know if it was a decent graphics card i neded to handle the picture, or a decent processor to handle the computing of the picture or a just decen't hard disks to make the transfering of the data more smooth.

i'm looking for the right setup that will not break a sweat doing this, but also not break the bank. when buying a new computer it always makes sense to me to buy the best of everything that there is available - but i didn't know if this was actually necessary. I don't really use my computer for high end gaming, or design. i use my computer to browse websites, type up documents, and download and watch 5GB h.264 rips of blue ray movies.
thats all great and all but u still didnt say how much u want to spend

- INTEL Q6700 @ 3.2 - ASUS P5Q Pro - EVGA 9800GTX - 4GB Patriot Viper @ 1066 -
Old 10-10-2008, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

everything should be decent.
something like an e8400/cheap p45/WD hdd/and a mid-range GPU will handle your requirements and its not that expensive to build.