Revive old machine - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2006, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default Revive old machine

I'm trying to get the performance back to my old computer. All I know is that 'FPS' games are running at low FPS I'd love to get counter strike running on this thing.

pentium 2 350mhz
64mb ram
ati 3d charger agp 8mb
space shuttle motherboard(?)

I've formatted a few times and I will do so soon. I think my problem is related to my video card driver or somthing I might of touched in BIOS (which i have no clue about) If someone can give me some ideas it's appreciated.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

If you're just looking for more performance you should buy a better video card (geforce2/4mx/4000 should be fine), add more memory (atleast another 128mb of sdram) and maybe consider a processor upgrade. Your mobo probably supports up toa 450mhz PII.

Old 02-05-2006, 10:51 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey thanks. I'm going to build my next system sometime this year and would want to start fresh. But anything that might be good to carry over I might consider adding on to this one for now.
Old 02-06-2006, 01:18 PM   #4 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Ethereal_Dragon Send a message via Yahoo to Ethereal_Dragon

Probably the only thing that you will be able to carry over from that system is the hard drive, mouse, keyboard, monitor, and maybe the computer case.... That is, it depends on how FAR you are upgrading.... If you're going to stay at pentium 2, yeah, it will all probably work, but if your looking at pentium 3, 4 or AMD, probably only what I listed will carry over.... and the video card, but the motherboards with integrated video might have that card matched, if not beaten.......

I THINK the ram is PC100 (or PC133) for the pentium 2's, and that probably won't carry over either....

What you can do, is just build a NEW PC, from scratch, and use that for gaming or whatever you're going to use it for, then use the P2 for you music library or something...
Gaming Laptop: - ASUS K501LX-EB71 - Stock (Wife's) - Gateway P-6860FX - Stock (Mine)
General Laptop: - Sony Vaio SVE141D1L - Stock (Mine)
Gaming Rig: BACK ONLINE!! ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell (Stock Cooling), HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: OFFLINE D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB
Home Server: BUILD LOG!! - Supermicro SC826TQ-R800LPB chassis, X8DTN+, Dual Xeon E5620 (Stock),
4x Nanya NT4GC72B4NA1NL-CG (24GB Reg ECC DDR3), 12x MICRON MT36JSZF51272PZ-1G4G1FG (48GB Reg ECC DDR3), (72GB total memory)
2x OCZ Agility (60GB) (OS & Backup), 6x WD40EFRX (4TB) in RaidZ2 (14.3 TB usable), 2x Q Series HDTS225XZSTA (256GB) ZIL & L2ARC mirrored

Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie

yup, theres not much you can port over if you are going to build a new system. If you really want to upgrade this comp, definitely add some extra memory and get a new video card. There should be a fairly good amount of cheap cards that should be able to handle counterstrike, just check out new egg.
Old 02-06-2006, 02:15 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Brtnboarder495

I doubt there's anything you want to carry over to be honest. Where there even DVD drives around then? Any modern computer needs a DVD drive. How big is the HD? 10gigs or so? That definitely won't fly, unless you plan on installing the OS and one game at the max. The memory probably isn't compatible with todays motherboards. Obviously the video card and processor are ancient. The PSU won't be able to fuel your new computer, that's gauranteed. Your case probably uses an older type of ATX, maybe if your lucky it will be compatible, doubt it though.

You see, your computer is simply to old to carry over any parts. The mouse and keyboard could be used possibly, but driver support may be scarce and they are most likely old and difficult to use.

Closed Thread