Return of the 650.00 Gaming Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagger576

Baseband Member
Hey everyone. About a month ago I posted asking everyone's opinion on a 650.00ish dollar gaming build for a new computer. I'll be frankensteining the hard drives and dvd writer out of my current machine and already have a monitor. (max resolution on it is 1280x1024.)

I posted some parts and the discourse that followed can be seen here. Unfortunately, money didn't quite pan out at the time, but I should be receiving my tax return this weekend. As such, I was curious if the parts outlined in the above post would still be my best bet. I live in Tennessee which unfortunately means I will have to pay tax on the items, so if the total itself could be closer to the 600.00 mark that would be helpful. I DO have some wiggle room in terms of the price, probably all the way up to 700 total. I hope to spend that much only if you guys feel the performance boost would justify it. (I.E. a slightly better video card for a little more cash, etc.)

So, all that said, what do you guys think? I know it's still a little early in terms of which combo deals will be available (We're supposed to get our return on the 29th) but I wanted to know if the system would still be competitive or if there may be some better components to add at this point. Thanks for any thoughts offered!

P.S. On a side note, in terms of video cards, what exactly is the best determining factor to choose one? I'd like to get a 5850 or so, but how much does manufacturer/ram size matter?

I've been scouring newegg and I've revised my previous build. I wasn't able to find any combo deals that seemed terribly helpful, so each of these are individual items. If anyone knows of any cheaper ways of accomplishing this build without taking a big hit on performance, I'm all eyes.

PSU
CPU
MoBo
RAM
GFX

The only item that seems to have a lot of variations in price is the video card. I'd really like to have something that's going to consistently work with newish games for a while, so I chose a card that is DX11 compatible. (I'm hoping to be able to play GTA 4, Mass Effect, Fall Out 3 and of course WOW without any frame lag.) At the moment though, my OS is XP so that may still be a ways off. What do you guys think? Is there a cheaper card out there that could play those games pretty well, or is this one going to be my best choice?

Thanks for any suggestions or thoughts you may have.

Holy cow, thanks muffin! Do you know anything about the power supply? Is OCZ a good brand?

Another question: I was just examining the case I've got, and found that the little green and white wires that are seemingly coming from the power switch have been cut right off... How big a deal is that? Will I be able to shut down using the OS and then flip the PSU off and back on?

well, ocz is a good brand but i cant seem to find some sort of review on the psu i posted. you can take a look at T-F's psu guide http://www.techist.com/forums/f76/read-first-updated-power-supply-guide-221778/ to get an idea of whats good and whats not.

so i would say, just to avoid any possible issues, heres my revised suggestion

Newegg.com - Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, Digital Cameras and more!
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-MA770T-UD3P AM3 AMD 770 ATX AMD Motherboard - AMD Motherboards
Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL - Desktop Memory
Newegg.com - Antec earthwatts EA500 500W Continuous Power ATX12V v2.2 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply - Power Supplies

new total is $560 + shipping (only $5 more)

everything except the psu is the same. you can find a full review on it here.

Another question: I was just examining the case I've got, and found that the little green and white wires that are seemingly coming from the power switch have been cut right off...

im not really sure what youre referring to here. could you be a little more clear or maybe post a pic of what you see?

Basically on the back of the front panel on my case, is the power button. Coming from that button are two wires that would end in a 2-pin socket, but they've been clipped off. I'm not sure about the feasibility of it working, but I've clipped the socket-end of my HDD light and wired it together. I'm hoping I can just twist the wires and secure them with electrical tape.

Yet another question that just occurred to me, will the CPU I'm looking at come with a fan as well as a heat sink, or am I on my own there?

Yet another question that just occurred to me, will the CPU I'm looking at come with a fan as well as a heat sink, or am I on my own there?

My bad, I just finished reading the detailed summary. Sorry, I'm a noob.

yes, since its retail it will come with a heatsink and fan. if it were oem it would only come with the cpu.

Basically on the back of the front panel on my case, is the power button. Coming from that button are two wires that would end in a 2-pin socket, but they've been clipped off. I'm not sure about the feasibility of it working, but I've clipped the socket-end of my HDD light and wired it together. I'm hoping I can just twist the wires and secure them with electrical tape.

ah ok, i think i understand you now. the mobo header of the power button wires is clipped off, so you want to use the header from the hdd light instead.

honestly, i have no idea lol XD

what i mean is, physically, you could probably solder the wires together; dont know how well just twisting them with electrical tape will work. but i dont know if using the hdd light header will cause some kind of problem.

i guess this would be considered like a small case mod, sort of. maybe if you post this question there youll get a better answer,
Sub-Forums : Overclocking, Case Mod, Tweaking PC Performance, sry :sweat:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom