Require assistance upgrading an Inspiron 531

Status
Not open for further replies.

FairPlay

In Runtime
Hey, well apologies if this has been posting 1000 times over but I do require quite personal assistance to my requirements. Thanks.

Well basically I have an Inspiron 531 from Dell and the time has come for me to upgrade my system. Though I need some help.

Currently I believe to have:
Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit
AMD Athlon 64X2 Duel Core Processor 5600+ [ 2.8gHz ? ]
2.0GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8600 GT

I would like to upgrade my graphics card to an NVIDIA GeForce GT 430 card. That's all okay, though I have read in many places that I would need to also replace it's power supply and perhaps maybe even the cooling system if I wished to do so.

Please can you assist me so that I know what I need to purchase for my computer, thanks alot.

First off- need your budget ....., then need to know what your planning on using the computer for ( ie. gaming = how intense, photo editing, serving ,etc. ) . If you decide on getting the new GPU card there is little doubt that you will need to replace the Power supply. YOU could also get an additional 2 GB of RAM and Upgrade to Win7 32 bit. I am no expert , but I remember for some reason Dells are not easy to upgrade. Might be the RAM. Please post budget and usage and we'll move forward from there.

I would say a budget of roughly £200, I purchased different RAM to the original also. Mostly the computer shall be used for gaming purposes, but not too intensely. Thanks for your response. I also think that the power supply that came with it is about 300W or something, don't quote me on that though!

Ah, okai then. What would be your recommended PSU upgrade wattage etc..? And if it's not too much could you recommend a model or brand also? I am new to this a bit.
Thanks for the response.

I got a OCZ 550 watt for a great price before Christmas. So far it has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom