Request for Laptop Help

LongBlade

Solid State Member
Hello all.

Part of the reason I am seeking a new desktop is that my laptop is aging. I have ~ 3 year old MSI GT70 with the following specs:

• Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU Q 740 @ 1.73GHz (8 CPUs), ~1.7GHz
  • Memory: 6144MB RAM
  • ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5800 Series
  • Display Memory: 3790 MB
I have also taken an image of the innards after pulling the cover (and VOIDING the warranty! <gasp!> ).

However, due to its size I will only post a link to the image: http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j349/longblade/GrogHeads/20160310_145216_zpsqijzqace.jpg

The issue is that my laptop is overheating. After pulling the cover the suspect overheater is the CPU. However, it could be that the fan is part of the problem - I don't normally notice it, which means it may have ceased to run except when I manually turn it on (which is I guess would be a low/high setting).

So, any thoughts on troubleshooting this further? Should I buy a new fan/cooling system? Should I buy a new CPU? Both? Neither?

Your help would be appreciated.

Remove the heatsinks and re-apply new thermal paste.

Does the fan still work / spin?

Edit: Yes, the fan does come on. However it blows hot air - sometimes hot enough to burn if it sits on my lap too long.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Thanks, guys. Really appreciate it. Am ordering some thermal paste now. Just watched some YT vids on how to clean the old stuff off. I'm ready to roll.

And the MSI GT70's make it easy to get to both chips as well. I've repasted my GT70 and it took like 15 minutes tops.

That fan is filthy....clean that and check the heatsink and make sure those are clean and you can see between the fins with a flashlight. (looking through the opposite side) You can use compressed air to blow out the fins from the outside in

You guys are geniuses! New thermal paste and a good cleaning of the "radiator" parts of the cooling system (which was thoroughly clogged - Joe C, you're correct) seems to have done the trick. It's running nice and cool.

Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom