Replacing my Celeron D 347 with a e1200 celeron tomorrow night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

-RockMan-

Banned
I have a question about how long does the original Intel compound grease last when you put it on your new CPU and when is the best to replace grease with something more secure and keep your PC in good health for awhile ?

After about 11 months now I will be getting a celeron dual core e1200 tomorrow.
Should I use the new fan that will come in the box to start fresh or just my old one ? over the past 2 months now my Celeron D tempature has gone from 39c to about 60c and the fan starts to go crazy if my room tempature gets above 79 degrees.
It hasn't beep yet or crashed in that matter but late at night it will slow down for about 5 hours straight and recover in the morning, I love this CPU but it can't handle more than 8 mid low range applications being opened and does NOT like being botherd when converting videos or movies from my digital Cable box or VCR.

I might have to wait about a week before I can get some artic silver 5 compound from a store or if my cousin has any...

Thanks in advance for any help.

your new cpu will come with a fan which will already have compund grease on it. Use the fan that comes with the new cpu if you wish to not end up with a dead processor

The fan that comes with the cpu will have some grease on it. I'm not sure of approximate "shelf life" of the stuff but I'd say a reapplication like every year or something couldn't hurt. Arctic Silver is pretty cheap so if you notice your cpu running significantly hotter than it used to you can clean off the old thermal compound with 90% rubbing alcohol and apply some new stuff. It's a fast process.

Thank you all for the help. I just got my cpu about a hour ago.
The heat sink fan was smaller than the original Intel fans, the Mobo recognized this cpu as a core 2 duo cpu and wanted to give it the max settings at boot up, it recognized the cpu again as celeron e1200 and still wanted to give me the option to overclock the FSB to 1066... LOL! I told it no and only to clock it to 1.98ghz.
Tempature for it now is idiling at 24c degrees.
Just one question though if I were to have nero 8 open and convertx to dvd doing some work, how the **** do I tell windows xp and vista to tell each program to use their own core ? I use to be able to know how to do this but I forgot this technique....

I am very happy with this CPU.

MadMikeXP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom