Replacing Motherboard and Case for an Older Computer - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question Replacing Motherboard and Case for an Older Computer

Hello everyone, I'm in need of the forums' assistance and expertise. I have an older computer that I want to get running again for the family.

A few months ago I created a similar thread with the end goal of upgrading. This time, however, I want to replace or purchase similar parts so that we can use the computer as it is.

The motherboard (P5W DH DELUXE) is faulty and I would like to replace it. I've found sellers providing the same make however, since I'm spending the money, I may as well buy a better one.

So, the new motherboard must be compatible with the processor (Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor E6320) as well as the video card (EVGA GeForce GTS 450).

The motherboard also cannot be too new since the ram we're using is DDR2.

As for the case I see that a lot of new ones have their power supply carriages fastened to the bottom which is awesome because it would make the case less top heavy. The beat up one that we have now has it fastened to the top.

Does it matter whether the PSU carriage is on top or on the bottom? I know it's a simple question but I would rather be safe than sorry. Any recommendations would be welcome.

So, thanks again for helping another hapless newbie techie. This community has always been helpful in the past and for that I'm grateful. Have a good day or night!

Old 05-02-2012, 12:22 AM   #2 (permalink)
Grandfather of Techist

Default Re: Replacing Motherboard and Case for an Older Computer

The fun part will be finding a motherboard for it, period. While they are still out there, they are nowhere near as plentiful as they used to be. NewEgg has five models in stock, plus a refurb one. TigerDirect has about the same. MicroCenter has three (I think). for four new models, two refurb, and one used. Most of all of these are mATX boards BTW. I didn't check eBay.

Cases are much easier. This search shows all the cases NewEgg has that have bottom mounting for PSUs. All you have to do is choose your size and the one you want.

Antec 300 Illusion / Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W / EVGA GTX 760 2GB
AMD FX 8320 x8 Black Edition / Gelid Tranquillo / MSI 970A-G43
Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB / Samsung 840 120GB / WD Black 750GB / WD Green 1TB / WD Red 3TB
G.SKILL Ripjaws 2x2GB DDR3 1600 - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 2x2GB DDR3 1600
Win7 Ult 64-bit - Func MS3 Mouse - CM Storm QuickFire Rapid Mech Keyboard

R.I.P. Danny L. Trotter ... 14 Nov 1945 - 4 Sept 2009
Old 05-02-2012, 12:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

To answer the other question, it doesn't really matter where the PSU is mounted.
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thank you for your swift responses Trotter and PP Mguire.

After doing a few searches I realize that whenever I buy a motherboard I may not be able to get the box/books/cables/etc. so I may as well get the MoBo that I have everything for already.

I figured that the PSU mounted on the top or bottom wouldn't make a different but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Time to order some things. Again, thanks you two.
Closed Thread