Replacing Graphics Card Help

Okay, so.

I successfully (I think) installed the drivers off the CD, however the picture is weird and fuzzy; text blurs in and out of focus.

I attempted to uninstall the old drivers first before installing the new, but there were two files I wasn't able to get rid of. These files are:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\ati2evxx.dll
C:\WINDOWS\system32\atiadlxx.dll

I've attempted the express uninstall for the AMD Catalyst Control Centre in Add/Remove programs (it gives me an error) and have tried Driver Sweeper (which simply won't get rid of them). I've also tried plain deleting them from System 32, but I get another error and it won't let me.

I've also tried updating my Nvidia drivers to the ones on the net. I've downloaded the ones for the GTX 650 TI for Windows XP, but it simply says "Nvidia Installation failed" whenever I run that. I've also tried the "Automatically find drivers" option on their website, which, after running for a few minutes, tells me that it can't detect my GPU.

A clean install is not an option as I don't have my Windows XP CDs on me, and I have a lot of pivotal files on this computer that I want to keep so I'd really prefer not to have to go out and buy Windows 7 and then have to back everything up.

At a bit of a loss as to what to do here. Help appreciated.

Tried doing it in safe mode, still didn't work.

I appear to have two different sets of chipset drivers now as well - one Intel and one Nvidia. And my audio is messed up as well, my headphones are not being read in Sounds and Audio and I get no sound for certain things, like flash videos.

There is no reason why it wouldn't work in safe mode. Have you tried manually deleting them in safe mode? Safe mode doesn't use anything like that.

It sounds like something got messed up in the process or something is being missed. At this point I can't exactly recommend anything else besides a fresh install or a roll back and try again by uninstalling all drivers completely and then starting from scratch that way.

Back
Top Bottom