Replacing CPU (Socket A)

Status
Not open for further replies.

harmonicsa

Solid State Member
I just replaced my Athlon XP 1700+ with a Sempron 2600+. In Windows, under System, it still shows the cpu speed as 1.47. Is it not running at full potential ? Is there something I need to chang in order for it to *recognize* the new cpu? Or does it matter? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

James

Windows should recognize the new CPU right away, shouldn't be a conflict there. Might want to contact your Motherboard provider, because I can't think of why the system wouldn't recognize the new processor unless someone else here does.

I thought that it was supposed to do that, but the speed is virtually the same as before. Shouldn't there be somewhat of an increase with this switch? Sempron isn't that much slower than Athlon XP is it? I think it's not using its full potential for some reason.... it's an old Compaq too, don't know how well I can get tech help from them, it's about 3 years old now, maybe 4....

The motherboard is probably not capable of handling the new chip. Call Compaq tech support. See their website for a number.

Even if the CPU I put in is the same Socket as the old one that is in it? Still might be incompatible?

sorry.. socket 754 2600 runs at 1.6ghz, so a socket A must run faster than that... disregard my last post.

Motherboard Properties:
Motherboard ID <DMI>
Motherboard Name Compaq Compaq PC

Front Side Bus Properties:
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 267 MHz
Bandwidth 2133 MB/s

Memory Bus Properties:
Bus Type SDR SDRAM
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 133 MHz
Effective Clock 133 MHz
Bandwidth 1067 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties:
Bus Type PCI
Bus Width 32-bit
Real Clock 33 MHz
Effective Clock 33 MHz
Bandwidth 133 MB/s
Thats the info i get and this is the model i have
Compaq Presario 5420US Desktop PC

This is the computer model I have... see any reason why the AMD Sempron 2600+ isn't being recognized? When I goto control panel > system > it says I'm running AMD Athlon processor at 1.47 ghz. This isn't right for the Sempron....?

I'd say... check the Front Side Bus...

perhaps it needs to be set higher or something... *166?

mine has a jumper on the motherboard that can switch between 133 and 166

and if that doesn't work... check in the bios for fsb settings...

(maybe that processor is designed for a higher fsb than your motherboard supports)

It definitely is... the Sempron has a 333mhz FSB.... is this what is causing the dilemma? The Sempron can't lower the speed to 133mhz (since I'm assuming that is the fastest the mobo supports from the info)...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom