Replacing cpu, motherboard, and gpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dazedy

Beta member
hey guys,
my girlfriend bricked something on her computer a while back and gave it to me to keep if i can fix it, so i'm replacing the motherboard, cpu, and gpu.
currently thinking of:
CPU: i-5 2500k + decent aftermarket cooler (salvaged from another computer)
GPU: GTX 580
Motherboard: not a clue.
Ram: 8 gigs of ddr3 something with the words "black edition" in its name.
harddrive: WD 1tb

I'll be salvaging the ram, PSU, harddrives, and case from the old build.

I'm expecting to spend about $800-900 on this, but if it isn't worth the extra money (IE the GPU), then i'd happily spend less. Pricewise, if I don't have to buy another video card for another 3-4 years, i'll be happy with the graphics card.

What motherboard would you recommend?

Forgot to mention- the power supply is a 600w

What did you have previously that you can carry over? What does she do on the computer? What is wrong with her current PC? What brand of PSU?

Memory: 1*x*OCZ AMD Black Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3BE1600C8LV4GK

Crucial 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT25664BA1339

Psu: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom

Hdd: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST31000528AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

What was wrong: computer would not POST, I suspect she fried her CPU by noy seating it right or by not spreading thermal paste evenly.

It will be used for gaming primarily, as well as a media server later on once we get an apartment off college campus.

To clarify - she tried different powersupplies, different gpu, and different mobi and it wouldn't POST

If it doesn't POST, it could be the PS?U or RAM that is bad. I wouldn't jump to conclusions that it's dead, but if you have the money, why not?

What games do you/she play? I think a 6890 would do well for you. But I'm not well versed in Graphics. Wait for someone else.

Do you want another 4GB set (2 x 2GB), or do you want to go with a 8GB set (2 x 4GB)? Black edition isn't really more than non-Black. They just type that to make you want to buy it. I can recommend G.Skill RipJaws. They are killer.

As for motherboard, what features are you looking for? ASUS and Gigabyte are my top two.

For that WD, get a Caviar Black 1TB. You'd see much performance in game loads.

Edit: unless your OS (7) is retail, you'd need to get a new license.

Well we tried two sets of memory, two different graphics cards, two motherboards, as well as two different psus - the only thing we didn't change was the processor (but it's been reseated at least 4 times)
If I'm changing the CPU, I'd prefer to get an intel, thus the need for the new mobo.
The graphics card she has is frankly, quite outdated, thus why I am buying a new one.

I dont see a need to buy new memory or a harddrive, unless it would result in a larger performance boost than spending that money on something else.

Mostly, I'd like the motherboard to be fairly easy to overclock (sort of the 2500k vs the 2500), have usb3, be compatible with everything. Reliability should also be good, so Asus and gigabyte are possibilities.

Oh right- maybe it would be a good idea to get another 4 gb of memory with the same timing as the black edition. Somehow that slipped past me.

Also - I can get win 7 for $15 at my university bookstore.

Just realized that I made it sound like I was buying more memory / hdd. That was not my intent.
I am only buying CPU, gpu, and mobo.
Edit: stupid mobile version doesn't have an edit button

I have 8 gigs of memory, with different timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom