Replacing CPU Cooler

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jewels

In Runtime
My stock cooler is getting loud and dusty (CPU temperatures are idling at ~52ºC, which I'm assuming is rather warm), and while I suppose I could just clear the dust, I'm thinking of purchasing the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro.

I have a stock clocked E6300 on a P5LD2 SE/C 945P. I've never replaced a CPU fan before, so is there anything worthy of note, like actually cleaning the CPU itself?

I also have this swivelling funnel vent thing attached to my case, which I'm guessing I should remove if I replace the cooler.

You'll probably have to remove it, on my Coolermaster Centurion 534 case, it would refuse to shut if I didn't unscrew it because of my AF64.

But AF7 is fine, you need to use something to clean of the old thermal paste of your processor, like a credit card, or this certain type of alcohol (the name escapes me)

Isopropyl?

Thermal paste scares a newbie like me, and a simple search shows such variation in how it's removed and applied. Toothpaste and nail polish? Recommendations to not use alcohol, regular soap and water, simple cotton buds, business cards. I'm afraid I'll short my motherboard or not apply it properly, even after seeing instructional YouTube videos.

Isopropyl?

Thermal paste scares a newbie like me, and a simple search shows such variation in how it's removed and applied. Toothpaste and nail polish? Recommendations to not use alcohol, regular soap and water, simple cotton buds, business cards. I'm afraid I'll short my motherboard or not apply it properly, even after seeing instructional YouTube videos.
That's the great thing about isopropyl; it evaporates before it can do any damage.

I think that's isopropyl I'm thinking of...

Would Methelated Spirits do the job?. (Purple stuff, got in B&Q's, possibly the same stuff you're talking about. It's great for cleaning an old roller ball mouse)

PS: I tried cleaning off an old Pentium 4 Heatsink and it was covered in black stuff and tinfoil that wouldn't come off, so I brought a sander to it :D:D with the intention of lapping it. I could only find 400 grit paper and need 1000 & 2000 :eek:

I think I won't use it

The best way I have found to remove thermal paste is using Isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. It has given me great results every time.

The best way I have found to remove thermal paste is using Isopropyl alcohol and coffee filters. It has given me great results every time.

Same way I clean mine off. Coffee filters = cheap/get a bunch, and are lint-free.

Oh, and the AF7 comes with thermal paste pre-applied.

PS: I tried cleaning off an old Pentium 4 Heatsink and it was covered in black stuff and tinfoil that wouldn't come off, so I brought a sander to it :D:D with the intention of lapping it. I could only find 400 grit paper and need 1000 & 2000 :eek:

I think I won't use it

some light scratches would help it, with a greater surface area for the thermal paste to attach to and dissipate the heat. id stick with the alcohol and coffee filter. its not that hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom