Reliable/Stable hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. tech

In Runtime
I might be needing to build a new PC for our business data. It needs to have reliable and stable hardware...

If you were to build a pc that included the above, what hardware would you put in it?

I'm not too fussed about the cost. If I have to spend a little more for the little extra reliability and stablilty, it's money well worth spent.

cheers
Ben

Business data huh?

Your going to want RAID1 or I believe RAID5 in there.

The drives with the lowest failure rate are always Seagate drives so look for those over any kind of drives.

I don't know what kind of chips or ram or blah blah you want in it so I can't recommend too much...As far as computer chips go the AMD's are of coarse always reliable, cheap and will work just find in a business data computer. However since it's commercial I guess I would still put an E6300 in there for speed.

For RAM I trust a lot of companies and I don't like their new chips, but Corsair still has excellent stability especially in their Value select. Kingston as well.

For motherboards I would say ASUS still make some very reliable motherboards as well as Abit..it all depends though on the price range and chipset.

Now for the biggie...the PSU. You are going to want the most rock solid PSU pretty much for stability and there are many good ones.

Super micro
Enlight
Enhance
Corsair
PC power and Cooling
Zippy
Etasis

all of those are top of the line trusted brands to look for to put in something like this.

If you have a lot of money to spend, buy a SCSI drive. They are much less likely to fail and/or create errors.

For RAM, get ECC (error correcting).

If the computer is to store your business data, a RAID 5 array is the way to go as Sora mentioned... Depending on budget, and company size and location(s), might want to also build a duplicate storage machine at another facility to provide off-site data back-up.

RAID 10 is probably better still if you are not too bothered about the cost
redundant PSUs
as mentioned before; ECC RAM
UPS
many things to consider but backup is probably one of the most important things and must not be underestimated, therefore a tape drive as well as an additional store for vital data and applications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom