reg PCI video card upgrade..

Status
Not open for further replies.

knob2005

Beta member
I'm upgrading my vid card but I only have old PCI slots and Im trying to determine which card would be a better purchase from newegg and would appreciate any help.I know for gaming I should have AGP or PCI-E but for now Im stuck with this box.

Geforce FX5200 128MB DDR

or

Radeon 9250 256MB DDR

I keep hearing from Nvidia users that the GeForce would be better but I was assuming that with the Radeon having more onboard memory it would be a better buy for the pricerange.Any suggestions are appreciated.:D

It is like choosing turd and poo, both are exactly the same i'd go with the 5200 for support of BF2 on low graphics depends, as their isn't a whole lotta difference between the two literally... You could buy either and it wouldn't matter..

I'd go the nvidia option, because it is DX 9 built unlike the 9250 which is only DX8.1 which is a big problem now....

but i found this which will give a bit more of a performance boost it is a fx5500 which has a bit more on a 5200 a tad more expensive though
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814143032

Or even better yet a..... 5700LE which is possible overclockable here it is for under 100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814139166

So check em out_ id go 5700 LE will be supported more in the future!

Memory is a real problem in your case as most will meet 128 standard, depends on the interface whether it is 64 or 128 bit interface and if it supports DX 9 (the current standard right now many cards that are 8.1 have problems with new games like F.E.A.R and so on)

The 5700 Le is only 64 bit but the 5700 chipset has more oomph.. than a 5200 and also has more distance in future support than a 5200.... It is only an LE which is a plain old 5700 which is cutoff at the knees on the performance side but you could be able to fix that with overclocking and even unlockable pixel shader pipelines ( I think, you might need to find that out on your own)

Sorry there was a typo, repeat onboard memory on the video card won't be a limiting factor ( Don't worry about the onboard ram) That only effects high performance chipsets and cores which benefit from higher memory speeds and bandwidths of GDDR3 (Graphics RAM extremely fast) such video cards are the 6800gt, 6800 ultra, and 7800gt and gtx. As the Radeon X800, PE 850 XT PE. Which would play games like Doom 3, F.E.A.R and Half Life 2

Worry about the chipset and the processor and the support for future games which the Nvidia one has not the ATi 9 series (except for high end cards like 9800's which doesn't seem like an option for you though:mad: )

Make your choice, young padawan.......:D Oh yeah good luck and good gaming!!!!

I appreciate your replies..will go with the 5200 for now,and start planning on building a new box from scratch instead of making the mistake of buying a retail box from best buy ..lol.Sometimes you have to learn the hard way.

I have a 9250, and it's good for a PCI I suppose (I can play CSS, avg of 20 fps) But it won't even load BF2. I doubt you can play BF2 very well at all even on low settings with other good specs.

I'd go for the 5200. Memory RAM doesn't matter at all, as long as it's at least 128mb.

Hey Dude, why not go the 5700 LE, it is better than a 5200. It will last longer too, if money is a problem that can be understood, the 5200 isn't going to give you that great performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom