Refridgerated Water Cooling - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 08:46 AM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to PZEROFGH

see peltier, i just spelled it wrong DOH

cant you just refridarator the water? just put the comp next to the fridge, put like the reservoir or whatnot in the fridge, drill small holes, and insulate them and run the tubes throught the hole into the comp!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #12 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by PZEROFGH
see peltier, i just spelled it wrong DOH

cant you just refridarator the water? just put the comp next to the fridge, put like the reservoir or whatnot in the fridge, drill small holes, and insulate them and run the tubes throught the hole into the comp!
I think that's what he wants to do.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 10-15-2005, 03:22 PM   #13 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Nubius
and as for your reservoir idea...the gravity pushing down on the water that the pump is trying to push up INTO the aquarium would negate any 'gravitational advantages' from the water going down the other side.
you misunderstood. the return hose would be going to the top of the reservior, not the bottom.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:14 PM   #14 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

aright, gotcha, however, the pump would still have to use energy trying to get that water to go up against gravity, of course not as much as if it went to the bottom, but still it'd be there fighting against it nonetheless
Old 10-15-2005, 06:33 PM   #15 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
aright, gotcha, however, the pump would still have to use energy trying to get that water to go up against gravity, of course not as much as if it went to the bottom, but still it'd be there fighting against it nonetheless
i think the water pressure on the pumps intake would cancel out(and then some) the pressure on the pumps exaust line.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:43 PM   #16 (permalink)
Newb Techie

If you insulate the tubeing then condensation shouldnt be able to form, that is if the entire tube is insulated ... Im not sure what to do for the cooling blocks to stop them from condensating.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:49 PM   #17 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to Myoushu Chi-Fu

You could take an already existing water cooled system, add and external radiator and put that radiator in a mini fridge. You could mod the mini fridge with holes for the wires and the tubing. You could probably add more than one radiator for more cooling.
Corsair XMS 2GB(1GBx2)PC3200
Samsung SpinPoint 200GB SATA3.0Gb/s x2
eVGA GeForce 7800GTX @ 490/1300
ViewSonic VX924 Black/Silver 19\" 3ms
Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU
Creative X-FI Elite Pro
</FONT>

Giggity Giggity, Allright
Old 10-15-2005, 07:14 PM   #18 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
Quote:
i think the water pressure on the pumps intake would cancel out(and then some) the pressure on the pumps exaust line.
yeah but it wouldn't be a straight line like that...you gotta factor in the restrictions of the blocks and the rest of the loop.
Quote:
Im not sure what to do for the cooling blocks to stop them from condensating.
You insulate those as well....neoprene padding, specific gel (forgot the name right now, available at dangerden), etc...etc... ahh dielectric grease is the name I was looking for
Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 PM   #19 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
[B]yeah but it wouldn't be a straight line like that...you gotta factor in the restrictions of the blocks and the rest of the loop.
I didnt mention those, because they are always inthe system no matter what, so there impact on the system from those esential components wouldnt be any different then normal... and in this case if they were kept on the pumps intake side above the pump... that would only increase the gravitational affect that the resevoir's gravity assist would have on the pump.. doesnt matter how many loops there are in the line, as long as they are bellow the resevoir and above the pump.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #20 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by jolancer
I didnt mention those, because they are always inthe system no matter what, so there impact on the system from those esential components wouldnt be any different then normal... and in this case if they were kept on the pumps intake side above the pump... that would only increase the gravitational affect that the resevoir's gravity assist would have on the pump.. doesnt matter how many loops there are in the line, as long as they are bellow the resevoir and above the pump.
Sure it matters how much pipe you have. It's called friction losses. And FL is high for ANY pipe under 3/4" ID. The more tubing you have, the more friction the water has to overcome to flow. And elbows, coolng blox, pump, etc, have even higher FL.

With all that said, however, the amount of cooling accomplished by refrigerated water would most likely overcome ANY friction losses. But the dilemna, of course, would be what to do with the water as it dripped off the CPU from the temp differential as the cold block & hot CPU contact each other.

Personally, I think having the whole ase inside a fridge is the best solution. Imagina a video camere being used outside on a winter day.... it works just fine, as long as the temp is stable. But bring it in the house, and condensation will form from the warm, moist air that the camera is trying its best to cool. Yet once the temps stabilize, you can use the camera again without fear.

So put the comp in the firdge for a few hours, THEN turn it on and let it stabilize. I'd bet that there would be little to no condensation, as long as the door was kept shut.