Reformatting a HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

smcdonn

Beta member
Alright I'm selling a PC to a buddy and it has a 40gig HD currently. He has a 50gig HD in one of his older PC's that he would like me to put in the one I'm selling him so he will have some extra storage capacity. Can I just change the jumper setting on the 50gig and be good to go? Since it has the operating system on it, I wasn't sure if it would affect anything? Anyone feel like helping a newbie out??

Welcome aboard! If the original drive is already mastered at the end of the ide cable you would simply slave the 40gb you have on the middle connector. If the 40gb is not seen as a new logical drive for some reason then you would try setting the jumper on that to cable select. This was seen often on older systems when running two ide drives.

When first booting with your drive on the other system the new hardware found, installing drivers for new hardware type messages will appear. Windows will tnen see it installed as a new logical drive assigning a drive letter available to it.

Now that both drives are in the one thing you will then have to see performed is an entirely fresh install of Windows since the 50gb OS drive is seeing a brand new home! That means a fresh start for everything including device drivers along with all programs on the present install. So start backing things up off of it now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom