Recommended upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is a good guide to overclocking Intel processors. It is long but extremely thorough.

HOWTO: Overclock C2Q (Quads) and C2D (Duals) - Guide v1.6.1

You motherboard is based on the 945G chipset which is not known for being good at overclocking. If you want to upgrade the Abit IP35p is based of of the much newer P35 chipset which is an excellent overclocker.

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

What would be a good new motherboard?

The Abit I35P I mentioned before would be a good upgrade. At $58 after mir it is a good deal.

Newegg.com - ABIT IP35P LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

Another option is the Gigabyte EP35 DS3L but it is more expensive.

Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS3L LGA 775 Intel P35 ATX Intel Motherboard - Intel Motherboards

If you plan on overclocking you may also need a better cooler for the cpu. The ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro is a great cooler.

Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler - CPU Fans & Heatsinks

His current motherboard won't allow an overclock of 0.8ghz?

If you can overclock your cpu then i think you would see a big improvement.

Mattew has to rethink some of his posts so don't listen to him. If you can't overclock it to about 2.6ghz then maybe get the new board Puddle Jumper posted.

Mattew has to rethink some of his posts so don't listen to him. If you can't overclock it to about 2.6ghz then maybe get the new board Puddle Jumper posted.

I agree, you should try to overclock with you current board before upgrading. The E2*** series of processors have low fsb's so they are extremely easy to overclock. Since you current motherboard supports 1066mhz fsb (266.5x4) you should be able to at least get to ~2.4ghz (9x266.5).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom