Rebuilding an old PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Umm sorry but he is putting a PCI SATA controller in a older computer and a SSD that unless it's a ungodly old PC like a p3 would only have a minor bottle neck. Also IDE while old is still a valuable technology for things like optical media or embedded flash devices that don't have much of a read / write rate.

Yes he might have spent to much money on a SSD when a standard Hard disk would have done the job just as well for a fraction of the cost but it would not produce any significant problems.

Well I have two PCs here. One is a brand new Dell Studio that I am typing on now and is approximately one month old. The other is a five year old emachines that I have retired and I experimenting with rehabilitating the old rig. It had a 60gb IDE HDD that I extracted and put in a new SATA SSD and has 1gb of memory, the Dell Studio has approximately 4gb of memory. I knew the old emachines is a bit under powered for today's applications that's why I took it apart and put the new components in it. Perhaps I should not be rehabilitating old machines and instead in a few years look at buying a new rig complete with a SSD.

I would just put the SSD in your new Dell, thats where youll get the most use and benefit out of it. If your old computer is just used as a secondary machine, then the most I would do is get a spinning SATA drive. Wouldnt you want the nice new SSD in the new machine that your probably going to use more?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom