Rate my PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

sick_unit

Baseband Member
Ive been using this PC for about 2-3 years now and want to upgrade. Im not a hardcore gamer, all I do is use the internet, homework and the occasional game on the internet. I want to get a decent computer that will be able to handle Windows Vista when it does come out. I also dont want to spend too much.

Well this is what ive got so far:

Case: ASUS TA210 - $120
Motherboard: Gigabyte 8I915P Duo - $140
HDD: Seagate 8M SATA 120G - $111
CPU: Intel P4 3.4Ghz - $400
Memory: Generic 512MB DDR2 - $48
Graphics Card: 128MB Forsa 6200TC128 - $75 (it also says 'Up to 256M' Im not sure what that means)

TOTAL: $894 AUD (670 US / 567 EUR / 382 GBP)

Im going to use my monitor and my DVD burner I have in my PC right now.

Is that a good system? Will it be decent for overclocking?

Thanks

For you? 9/10.

For today's games? 5/10. You videocard is sadly behind. With a better videocard that would be like a 7/10 for gaming. AMD is MUCH better in gaming. With a $400 AMD processor (which by the way is equal to a 4.0GHz Pentium 4) AND a better videocard, it would be a 9/10 for gaming.

It should overclock fine. 4.0GHz max. But the AMD that I mentioned earlier is compared to a 4.0GHz Pentium 4 when its on stock speeds, and its still $344.

Thanks for your input Flanker!

Are you talking abut this AMD:

San Diego 3700+ - $348
What is that equivalent to a P4 in GHz? (Sorry I dont know much about AMD's at all!)

About the video card, is this any good?
256MB Forsa 6600 DVI - $148

I thought you didnt want to use generic RAM for OCing? I also agree about the processor Flanker mentioned above. Unless im mistaken (which i could be) a 3700+ is equivalent to a 3.7 ghz pentium.

Yeah Ive never heard of Forsa before, but like I said, I dont really care about the graphics card because I dont play games on my PC.

One more question regarding the AMD San Diego 3700+. What could I overclock it to?

Supposedly some people are OCing it to around 3 ghz, but if you want a cpu that you can OC quite a bit look into the opteron 148. Its basically a 3700+ thats been tested more and built for servers. If you are going with AMD and want to OC then go with a DFI motherboard.

I guess having Generic DDR2 RAM might cause some problems, if I overclock.
I think the ASUS TA210 comes with a 360 watt PSU, so thats going to be no good. Might have to get an 'Antec 500 watt Smart Power 2' for $115.

So I might go with the AMD now, but I have to try and find a motherboard that supports DDR2 RAM. Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom