Ram upgrading

Status
Not open for further replies.

melonabusar2

Baseband Member
I currently have 2x256 ram in my comp (512). I plan on upgrading to 1gb soon, I have 4 DIMM slots and my ram speed is pc2700.

When I buy another 512mb of ram, should I upgrade to pc3200 (because according to everest, my motherboard supports it) or should I continue the trend at pc2700. And would buy 1 stick of 512 be okay, rather than buying 2x256 ? What should I do! :eek:

You will not get any performance increase using a PC3200 stick with the PC2700, as the PC will underclock the faster ram.

You will be fine with a single stick.

upgrade to 3200 sticks, you can get a gig set for 67$ at newegg

you gain 500 megs of bandwidth with the increase not to mention twice the ram

Alright, thanks. My motherboard says it has 4 DIMM slots, and I'm quite the computer noobie so that means that if I were to put 512 sticks in each one I could get 2gb of ram? Correcto ? Is there something I'm missing or is that all there is to it ? And how hard is putting ram in? Does the ram come with like instructions because I've never done anything like this before.

You haven't said what computer or motherboard you have. Installing RAM is very easy. If in doubt pull out the manual or do a google search. When you look in there you will see how easy it is to install, just don't force anything and you will be fine. Yes you can install four 512MB sticks to get to your 2GB if you feel you need 2GBs. I too say go with the faster RAM if your motherboard supports it and dump that PC2700 stuff.

Hello melonabusar2,

In most cases, PC2700 and PC3200 are very similair in price. With this in mind, I would purchase the PC3200 becuase it gives you some upgrade room, if you ever decide to take the plunge into PC3200 speeds - this is of course depending if your system supports PC3200/DDR400 speeds. Like m3incorp suggested, I would reply back with your processor's type and speed, as well as your motherboard's make and model. This way we can help you make a informed decision.

Thanks!

Sorry for the slow response you guys, thanks for attempting to help me out. Anywho,

I have a 2.6ghz intel processor with HT.

And here's all the information I could gather from everest about my motherboard (my computer was store bought, so)

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2600 MHz (13 x 200)

Motherboard Name Intel La Crosse D865GLC

North Bridge Intel Springdale-G i865G

(for those of you that know an use everest, let me know exactly where it specifies what my motherbaord is, but I think the "Intel La Crosse" might be it)

And in everest it also says

Supported Memory Types DDR-266 SDRAM, DDR-333 SDRAM, DDR-400 SDRAM, which is why I'm assuming pc3200 is okay to use.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom