Ram Upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

fais7

Baseband Member
Though I thought I'd change my PC, that plan is on hold....for now I want to increase the RAM in my PC...My PC has the following specifications..

Asus P4P800
Pentium 4 2.4GHZ
Nividio 6800GT
2*256MB Kingmax DDR 400

I want to either install a 1*512MB or 2*512MB (or 1*1GB if 512MB not available) RAM into my computer, all depending on the price. Can I do so? Also will using a different brand make a difference and is 400Mhz(or 200 according to CPU-Z) the max Bus speed of RAM I can use..??

I read somewhere about frequencies and latency issues....how do I find my current RAM settings??

EDIT: Downloaded CPU-Z ...This is what I got from it

printpagevd3.jpg

Voltage is at 2.5V

According to the specifications seen in the online user manual that will take four 1gb dimms of PC3200 DDR400 memory. A good pair of Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, etc. 1gb dimms will sit well there. XP smoothes right out when 2gb of memory is on. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

According to the specifications seen in the online user manual that will take four 1gb dimms of PC3200 DDR400 memory. A good pair of Kingston, Corsair, Crucial, etc. 1gb dimms will sit well there. XP smoothes right out when 2gb of memory is on. ASUSTeK Computer Inc.-Support-

But can I add it to my current setup of RAM or should I replace them??
Right now the 2*256mb RAM are in slot 1 and 3....

If you decide to go for a pair of 1gb dimms you won't need the 256s any longer. In fact even on Vista here 2gb has been doing quite well despite any loads I put on it.

For not having an onboard firewire port as you would see in the user manual alone you would have to add a card in a pci slot and also plan to see drivers go on once you first go use any 1394 type device. The specifications at Gigabyte show an additional card would be needed. GIGABYTE - Product - Motherboard - Specification - GA-P31-DS3L (rev. 1.x)

I might just go with 2*512mb cards as I dont want to spend too much on a old pc plus its main purpose it photo and video editing....with net surfing obviously...

So only a Firewire PCI card will be useful...thanks for all the info...

What do you mean by the drivers part???

When replacing ram its best to do it in identical matching pairs, as the ram will only run as fast as the slowest chip.
Also the ram that you have doesnt look that bad, it just seems as though you dont have enough of it.
Drivers so your comp knows what to do with the pci firewire card. Similar to a video or audio driver.
-P.

Any drivers needed would be for the extra device you plan to use. Most items like digital camcorders and other external devices generally have their own software disks or have a preprogrammed memory chip onboard that loads itself automatically.

For the basics on an old system getting into the 1gb range will always help. The prices on memory have come down however where you may find a deal on 2gb of value memory until you get into your next build.

That simply raises the question why go for 1gb when you can have 2gb for the same price? :eek: :p Some price shopping never hurts.

Hmm....I get the Drivers part...thanks

Regarding prices, you can never be sure in Dubai. They might still be charging higher prices for these older RAM if I do find them that is....

Anyway Thanks for all your help...!!!!

Your Welcome!

Higher prices seen lately are for much older PC100 and PC133 simms since you pay more for still seeing vendors having them onhand. The exact same 2gb kit(pair of 1gb dimms) of Kingston ValueRam I ran on an older Socket A build is now seen for quite a bit less now then a few years ago for $65.99 at Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Desktop Memory I paid out about $100- when ordering at the time.

Some are even a little in price while premium memory like OCZ still catches a higher $88- tab. For simply seeing a performance boost a set that will work being a brand on Gigabyte own recommended list. On the next build when that comes about then you can consider getting into performance memory seeing faster timings there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom