Ram Trouble!! arrrgg. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 01:11 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Ram Trouble!! arrrgg.

Ok, I'll try to explain this the best I can.

-My Computer used to be 1 gig of ram(2x512) DDR400.

-I want to upgrade to 2 gigs of ram (2x1024) DDR400

-My motherboard(Chaintech SKT600) said that if want DDR400, then you only can use 2 of the 3 dimm slots. If you use 3 Dimm slots, then you only can get DDR333.

-When I installed the A-data two gigs of ram, my computer freezes when loading windows

-When I installed the two gigs of ram plus one 512 meg dimm, The computer saids that I have 2.5 gigs of ram at DDR333 and it runs fine.

What could be the problem? do you think that using 2.5 gigs of ram at DDR333 is better than 2 gigs of ram at DDR400?

Thanks in Advance.

Old 07-04-2007, 01:35 AM   #2 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

Default Re: Ram Trouble!! arrrgg.

two gb of ram is plenty.
your mobo is lowering the speed of your ram because you put in an odd number of dimms....ie no dual channel ability. we see this often, as far as wrong dimm slots or odd numbers of ram modules.
maybe your mobo doesnt support a-data ram? maybe it just doesnt like it? maybe the a-data ram needs a little more voltage than your other ram (this is a very likely culprit)? maybe you have a bad stick?
try putting in just 1gb at a time. if it works, take that stick out and put the other in (by itself) and see if you have the lock up at load.

Old 07-04-2007, 02:40 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Hey, thanks for the quick reply. I did your method and I found out that both Ram chips are DOA. I'm returning and getting a different brand of RAM.

Thanks.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:57 AM   #4 (permalink)
disgruntled ex-moderator

another satisfied customer