RAM speed and Hyperthreading confusion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tymetwister

Baseband Member
I'm building a low-cost system, and the Biostar motherboard I got said that the DDR standard on it was PC3200 (DDR400), so that's the speed I ordered.

The CPU will be the Intel Celeron 2.00Ghz/400 FSB. When I called Biostar tech support, they said that the PC3200 memory I got will only run at 266Mhz (equivilent to PC2100), because of some limitation of the CPU, and if I wanted my memory to run at 3200 I would need to get a CPU that supported Hyperthreading.

The thing I can't grasp is, does everyone need a CPU with Hyperthreading to get their memory to run at 400Mhz? I thought PC3200 was becoming more of a standard now, and I didn't see many chips that had the Hyperthreading technology, and I can't imagine that no one is achieving PC3200 speed without one of those CPU's.

Can anyone help clear this up for me?

Mostly the hyperthreading is on the Intel Pentium 4's form the 6XX series and up ( i think.. Fix this if i am wrong) but anyways that CPu is old i don't know how old it is but it came out a while ago and that might be hte problem. If i was your i would look for reviews on that Cpu.

Thats wrong. It depends on the FSB.

Dual channel DDR400 will need a FSB of 800.

FSB = 200Mhtz

Single DDR = 200Mhtz
W/ DC DDR = 200Mhtz x 2 = 400Mhtz
Quad pumped FSB = 800Mhtz

If you have a FSB of 400. Divide by two and thats your speed.

So, turtile, I'm a little confused... are you saying that with a CPU that has a FSB of 400Mhz, that my memory can only run at 200Mhz tops?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom