RAM questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

gospel

In Runtime
I was thinking of replacing my two 512mb sticks of PC2100 RAM with two 512mb sticks of PC3200 RAM. I am running these in a dual channel configuration. This will cost me approx. $80. Will I be able to notice a significant increase in performance?

Also, I think I may have asked this before and I guess I could just test it and see. But, since I'm here I'll ask the question. Is two 512 sticks ran in a dual channel configuration better than 1gb ran single channel?

The bottom line here is I always try to do some kind of system upgrade around Christmas and the first of the year due to everyone getting me tech store gift cards. These are my system specs. What would you upgrade (keeping $$ in mind, the gift cards won't amount to much)?

Athlon XP 2800+ Barton OC'ed to 2.2ghz (I know it will do more but I'm not one to push it)
1- 80gig WD HD w/8mb cache
1- Seagate 20gig HD
1 gb PC2100 RAM in dual channel configuration (2x512)
Geforce FX 5200 128mb DDR video card (It is OC'ed also)
Soundblaster PCI128 sound card

video card would be where I'd upgrade. Head on over to e-bay and look for a new/like new 6600GT.

Ryan

edit: you said tech gift cards, so maybe e-bay won't be your thing, but you need a new video card. I think best buy still carries cards like that... it costs an arm and a leg. If you can though, find yourself a way to get a good video card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom