RAM Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Cons: same as everyone else, had to set voltage at 1.9 would crash my system within 20 minutes of gaming. set to 1.9 no problems since. used asus m2n-e sli board. didn't come with an ESP ALexi 1000" ssomeone posted this as a con on newegg, i wont have that problem will i?

Okay, I think im going to purchase the ram off newegg tomarrow night. Ive seen videos of installing ram and it seems like all I need to do is open up the computer, touch something metal first and slip the ram in one of the slots. Is it more complicated then that or is there anything else I need to know. Also, is there a certain order I should put it in with the other ram I have in it now. Should I put the bigger on in the first slot or something?
Thanks

You said you currently have a 512mb stick in, right? You should remove that, and just use the 2 x 1GB sticks. This is so that you can run them in dual channel mode. Dual channel cannot run with an odd number of sticks. There is a certain way, in which slots to install them in, in order for dual channel to work. Refer to your motherboard manual, for further instructions. It's either going to be in the same colored slots, or right next to each other.

is pc3200 out of date? or is it still a viable source of ram for computers these days... asking because i have 3gigs of 3200 ddr on my computer.

Most newer computers and mobos are all supporting DDR2 now which has a different pin amount/combination, so unless you have another older computer to put them into, I would just sell them on ebay.

hmm so i can put this in my computer? All i need to do is figure out how dual channel works for my mobo? Also, should I just discard my old ram. I forgot to tell you, im pretty sure its 2 sticks of 256 Now that I think about it. Could I do dual channel with 4 sticks. My computer has 4 slots. My computer is from Dell, will it even have a manual for the MoBo or will I need to find one.
I know this post is pretty bad grammar and what not but im in a rush because I want this boost for my comp bad.

Yes, you can run dual channel with 4 sticks. I doubt Dell would include a motherboard manual, for their motherboards.

so all I need to do is figure out the correct order to put the memory in, your 100% sure it will work.
Thank you very much b1gapl you have been nothing but helpful in my two experiences on this website. =)

lol....I don't even remember the first experience. But you're welcome.

What you can do, is try two configurations.
-Alternating order.....1 x 1GB / 1 x 256MB / 1 X 1GB / 1 X 256MB or the 1GB sticks next to each other, and the 256MB sticks next to each other.

One of them, has to be dual channel. Just try both and look if it's in dual channel mode.

edit: I see in your previous screenshot, of your memory sticks, it does say Dual mode at the top right, when you had the 256MB sticks in. So how is it configured on the motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom