ram question

Status
Not open for further replies.

skylindrftr

Beta member
Hi, new to the forums, which looks like a good place to answer this question. It requires a little explanation of my situation though, so here goes.

Anyhow, I was looking to upgrade the ram on my computer for cheap. I am running a gigabyte GA-K8N-SLI motherboard w/ a AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (939). The board has 4 slots for ram (2 different colors for running dual channel) for DDR 184 pin, it can take up to PC 3200. I am already running 2 sticks of 512 (as dual channel) by Melco w/ a Cas latency of 3 (they are PC 3200). I had bought another gig of A-Data (2 x 512, PC 3200, Cas latency 2, heat spreaders) and tried to run it alongside my other ram. I put it in and it ran okay for about 20 minutes until i tried accessing a flash site on the internet. It gave me an error and then the blue screen. I rebooted and upon reboot many of my start up programs were giving me errors i had never seen before and I eventually got the blue screen. I tried switching the ram to different slots, no luck. I tried running just with the a-data, no luck. It ran fine with just the other ram i had though. So I returned that and am now looking for different ram. I came across some cheap Kingston value ram (2x 256 for 512, cas latency 3, pc 3200) and was wondering if I could run 512 along side the gig without any problems, or if it would cause problems and should I just buy another gig of more compatible stuff?

Thanks for reading!

WELCOME TO TECH-FORUMS!

It's a dual channel so both RAM has to run in the same color. This motherboard has 2 purple slots and 2 red slots. You plug in both RAM in the same slots or else it won't work. You have to get DDR400 PC3200 RAM. Are the models of the RAM DDR400 PC3200 RAM's? Well, sometimes it could be that you have the wrong model of RAM's so it won't work or it can also be a defective RAM you have there on your motherboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom