RAM question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jlim

Solid State Member
awhile ago my computer broke and i built a new one. I salvaged some parts from my old one like RAM, etc.

Right now in my computer im using 2 512 MB RAM sticks

I have an extra 1 GB stick laying around.

Would it increase my computer's performance if i added it in also?

Both the 512 and 1 GB sticks are PC3200, and all are CAS latency 3, and run at 200 mhz. The brand of the 512 sticks are Nanya and the 1 GB stick is Corsair.

I've been working a lot with video editing and stuff recently and thought the RAM increase would help out a little.

I was thinking of running the 2x512 sticks in the dual channel slots and the 1 gb stick in a separate slot.

the reason im asking is because i thought i read somewhere about performance issues with different brands and sizes of RAM but i don't remember the specifics of it.

any help is appreciated, thanks

no, will not increase performance, just headroom, i had 3x1 gb sticks and that sucked compared to 2x1 so yea, just keep the 2x512 in your comp and give the last stick to your dog

no, will not increase performance, just headroom, i had 3x1 gb sticks and that sucked compared to 2x1 so yea, just keep the 2x512 in your comp and give the last stick to your dog

errm this isn't true at all. The extra ram will definitely help...especially with video editing.

Agreed with gurusan. Video editing, likes to use ram, so the extra 1gb will help.

thanks for the replies.

it seems like you guys said it will help with video editing, but will it decrease performance in games and such because the memory isn't the same and im not just using the dual channel slots?

It will stop all the ram sticks from dual channel mode. But I heard, dual channel is not significantly better than non dual channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom