Ram Quality Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tisoraku

In Runtime
I haven't been able to find the answer to this question.
How big a difference if there is the cheaper ram memory (Kingston 1GB value ram) to more expensive brands?

I did read something on heat and overclocking.

Thanks

The speed will be much less for example if you look at the MHZ and XMS2 the MHZ is a lot lower. I would suggest going for the more expensive RAM. You then thus now its:
Good Quality
Quick
Reliable

You will not be worried at all! By the way corsair XMS 2 is awesome!

The value ram I have now is DDR2 667 (5300) and 800 (6400) I will be build another system soon and was thinking of moving these two into the new system and buying myself the newer ram memory, I never really found out why the value ram was less.

Looks like the value ram dropped by half in the last few months.

its all down to the quality

the cheaper sets of ram are good for bog standard builds as in not overclocking in a cheap - mid range builds

as for the mid to high range or ram they are generally faster and more reliable, for example i have 2x 1gb strips of ocz memory in front of me

the difference between these and my last pc ram is they have heat strips on them, they have a timing of 4-4-4-15 and thay also have a life time warranty

now the last lot han no heat strips and a 3 year warranty, they ended up frying a few months after the 3 year warranty

so your just paying for the reliability factors

i went form 2 gigs of regular corsair DDR2 667 to corsair XMS2 DDR2 800 and it was such a boost i love XMS2

and ya it is good to throw that extra couple of bucks in for the quality stuff w/ lifetime warranty and not having to wworry about it
vs.
having cheap ram and it frying shortly after the warranty goes up so eventually you will bespending more on it (like SOLIDSTEVE said above)
plus if you get more expensive stuff usually it comes with a rebate so you will pay the same most of the time in the long run

RAM really is worth it to spend the extra money on...
itll give you the most noticeable boost in performance with your PC if you buy a good amount of a good quality RAM...
as for your question as to whats the difference:
- heat dissipation
- speed
- quality
- reliability
- likelihood of errors
- timings
- overclockability
- warranty
- the actual chips in it
there are many things... i wouldnt risk it... get some good, warrantied RAM :) - RK

agreed 100% with therascalking ram is important, so there is no point in cheaping out on the lower end chips. anyway ram has really gone down in price as of late, you can grabe 2gb crucial's 4-4-4-12 for like $48.

While here, anyone know what type of computer problem would cause everything to freeze and the screen to show a screen full of diagonal lines? It has happened a few times over the last few months, I have to restart to get everything back up and running. I think I will replace my current value ram with a higher grade, because I can use it for the simple new build while upgrading my own system, with the current drop in prices, I will end up paying less for better ram then I did for one stick of value ram.

I'm going to go look for a good brand of 6400 (800) ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom