Ram and Page file

Status
Not open for further replies.

euthyphro

Beta member
Hello folks, this is my very first post. I seem to like the idea of this community- lots of good info.

Well i came across a good deal for ram and now i will have ram coming out of my butt. I have a new emachine with a amd 64 3200+ processor. Soon i will have two sticks of 256 and two sticks of 512 ram. all of the sticks are dual ram in dual channel slots. so my question is how do i cut down on my pagefileing without jeopardizing the integrity of my computers operations.

I know that the computer is desgined to put some memory into pagefiling in order to have physical memory "handy". however, i want to do away with the automatic pagefiling funny business that my computer does- even the kernel if possible.

should i just limit the virtual memory to a limited "initial" or "maximum size?" should i just select the option to eliminate pagefiling alltogether? Is it true that at least some pagefileing is needed- if so what is the mininum? any suggestion would be appreciated. by the way im using xp home os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom