RAM issues on an old computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCHawks73

Baseband Member
I ran a diagnositics on my grandma's computer (which is about 5+ years old with DDR RAM, 80GB HDD, etc, etc.) and it said she had 1/2 GB of RAM. I told her I could upgrade it for about $50.

I ordered 2x 1GB sticks from Newegg.com in the DDR 3200 format (the original stick was DDR 2700) and I installed them in the Mobo (which only had 2 slots) and it got to go to the black screen where you press X for the bios or Y for the setup (not X and Y but whatever keys they were)

I then took out one of the 1GB sticks and now it works flawlessly... but since I paid $75 for the 2x 1GB sticks, and only able to use one... I want to know what is the reason why it wasn't working? Defective RAM? Diagnostics lied about a max RAM of 2x 1GB? (I ran the diagnostics from the Crucial website a buddy recommended).

Thanks for the help!

Time for some trouble shooting.

Will the stick work in both slots/have you tried it in both slots? That would rule out the mobo if it works in either slot.

Have you tried using just the [bad] stick? Have you tried it in both slots? If it turns out to be bad RMA it as most RAM has a lifetime warranty. I just RMA'd a set of OCZ DDR2 that was at least three years old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom