RAM and Graphics card help needed! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > System Upgrades
Closed Thread
Old 06-13-2009, 04:52 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default RAM and Graphics card help needed!

I would like to add extra ram and a graphics card to my computer. I have been doing research on the Internet to find out which would be suitable. Would someone be able to check that I am doing the right thing before I order the wrong parts and break my computer? =) I have included pictures and links just to make sure.

First the RAM. I have this RAM in my comp Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 512MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Desktop Memory Model KVR400X64C3A/512 - Desktop Memory
I have 2 slots and was going to buy these Newegg.com - Kingston ValueRAM 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) System Memory Model KVR400X64C3AK2/2G - Desktop Memory

Now the graphics card. I'm totally confused about which one to buy. I have a very small and slim case http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...t_measures.jpg
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/401_back.jpg so from what I understand a standard size card won't fit and I need a low profile card or half size? I'm not sure! I'm also not sure which type of slots I have so here's a pic http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o...s/DSC01344.jpg
Is it 3 pci and 1 agp or 1 pci express? Also I read I have to be careful about the psu wattage, I have a 250 W max output.

Any advice about which card I should buy will be much appreciated!

Old 06-13-2009, 04:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie
Default Re: RAM and Graphics card help needed!

yeah you have agp. You would need a low profile agp gpu?
can you open the case and read the sticker on the psu to see what it has on the 12v rail?

You are spending $70 on ram. If you go for a card and need a new psu you are spending another $100 or so. That is almost halfway to a new build. Just something to think about.

IMO not worth it.

ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 :: INTEL i7 920 @3.4 :: XFX GTX260 :: 6gb Corsair 1600 :: Corsair 750TX :: TRUE 120 :: Samsung T240 24" :: Windows 7 X64

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 06-13-2009, 06:12 PM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie
Default Re: RAM and Graphics card help needed!

True, but uh man agp low profile.. I have a Slimline also and HP the best I can get on it was a 9400 gt Low Profile ..

I think it's worth getting a new decent comp really won't cost much for the basic gaming comp $450 - $600.

But if u take the other path u know the one on the right then u can get urself a new, PSU, GPU, and the ram.

I know man I hate slimline's also considering the fact I have one also. If i knew that this case would be bad for future upgrades I would of never purchased it.
Closed Thread